Thread: Remote Desktop Connection

Ultimate Member

Remote Desktop Connection

This is variation of another thread I had.

I am still trying to do Remote Desktop Connection using the Windows software. The host computer is WXP Pro with the settings set correctly I believe (Allow Remote access and firewall setting allowed). I followed Microsofts instructions.

Since there is not a VPN, I used the IP address of the host computer. However, when trying to connect from the client, it did not find it or work. Actually, to get the IP address of the host, I used whatismyip to find it. However, I cannot even ping this address from the client. Something is wrong. Any ideas???

(By the way, GoToMyPc work perfectly but I need to know another method. Thanks.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Either of you have a router that needsports forwarded.

Ultimate Member
    I have a Licksys at the host and a U S Robotics at the client. I have no idea whether they need port forwarding. How can I tell??

Ultimate Member
    I have looked in the Linksys router and at an information site and think I have determined the following:

First, I think I must forward port 3389 on the Linksys router or so I've read. I can do that. What I do not understand is how the remote computer can get thru the router to the host computer. The instructions say to use (if you don't use a VPN) the IP address of the host. When I use www.whatismyip.com I get the IP address of the router. I don't uderstand how to get from the router to the host computer.

If I use my local IP 192.168.nnn.nnn I assume ten thousand computers use the same. How do it know???? Perhaps by using the router IP and then the name and password of the local computer, it will work. I just haven't tried that yet but will tonight.

This page was written for another Remote control program but you can infer from the principle to your setting.

http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Ultimate Member
    As soon as I opened port 3389 on Linksys router, it worked. I have another problem with another remote but will try to work it out.