Thread: Advice on a new system build...

Advice on a new system build...

Hi all,

I'd like some opinions on whether I'm spending my cash in the best way with this new computer I'm getting.

I don't play games, and if I'm honest I don't often do processor intensive things. All I do on it is browse the web, watch videos (HD) and develop websites, which doesn't really need anything special. I do often have 4 or 5 apps running at once though and up to about 10 browser windows.

What I DO want is a really fast and responsive system. I've got Vista Ultimate and at the moment it crawls along like a limp dog. I'm half considering going back to XP just to have a bit of speed back but I'd prefer it if I could just buy a system which could give me that speed I want.

This is a list of what I'm getting. I've a fairly tight budget but I'm open to suggestions.

HD: Seagate Barracude 7200.10 250GB - £43
    Motherboard: MSI Neo2 - £69
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 - £43
    Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - £15
    RAM: 4 x 1GB OCZ PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series - £53
    GPU: ATI HD 2400 PRO - £30

Total £253

Components have been selected to overclock and this should run happily at 3Ghz.

Is there anything I should consider improving? I know going for a quad core CPU would be an obvious choice but I really can't stretch that far.

Hi cusimar9,

The items you have chosen look good to me.
    You may want to keep in mind to get a good Power Supply also.
    At least 350 Watts, with 16 amps on + 12v leg.
    I have had to replace power supplies due to poor performance,
    including having to boot several times to get into the OS.
    I've never had the exact motherboard, but MSI is generally a good board.

Best of Luck with the build!
    chronk
    twitter.com/virusfighter

I second that... On my upgrade i had to go ahead and get a new PSU to boot. I had one that would have worked, but he's right. Don't overlook one of the most important parts. To can get a good Antec 550 or OCZ for less than $100.00. I've seen some good PSU's going for like $65-75.00 also.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Thanks guys

Well I already have an Enermax 370W supply and, given I'm only powering 1 hard drive and a passive graphics card I'll give it a try see if it'll work.

Its actually has a 20pin power connector, but as I understand it should still work in a 24pin motherboard.

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Lifetime Friend of Staff