Thread: Pc Problem

Pc Problem

I just built a computer for my daughter and ran into a problem. I'll start with specs

Mobo: ECS HT2000 GeForce 6100sm-m (onboard video and audio)
    Processor: AMD 64 X2 4200+ 2.2ghz Socket AM2
    Memory: 1Gb OCZ DDR2 667
    HD: Western Digital 80Gig Sata
    PSU: 480W El cheapo
    Problem: I installed the mobo into tower and plugged everything in, power supply in tower is only a 20 pin but powers up just the same. I'm using the onboard video and sound for now. The motherboard gets power but all I can get is a constant flow of short beeps, there's no use counting they never stop. So I tried clearing the CMOS, still no go. Next I tried another stick of memory (1GB DDR2 800mhz which I know is good) still no go, motherboard just beeps. I thought that maybe the PSU wasn't supplying enough power, so I switched over my OCZ 800W 24 pin still beeps. I looked in the manual and it says that a 20 pin PSU was ok to install.
    The only thing I can see is that either my processor is dead (It worked fine in my pc though) or I bought a faulty motherboard (but it gets power because all fans turn, hd comes on and it beeps).
    If anybody has a solution, please feel free to share your knowledge.
    Thanks in advance

did you test the mb outside the case on a non conductive surface first? double check that you didn't put an extra standoff under the board.

Will give it a try and post back results. Thanks

Non-stop beeping, or a siren, usually indicate overheating. Try removing and re-seating the HSF with a new (thin) layer of thermal paste; make sure it's seated flush and snug. If it's mounted OK, make sure the HSF fan is plugged into the correct mobo connector.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Ok, I've tried booting on a non conductive surface, with and without hd plugged in, still constant beeping. I also removed the hsf (stock came with cpu) and cleaned old thermal pad off and applied some arctic silver thermal paste, once again constant beeping. Any other thoughts, or is my mobo a lemon? Honestly I never was a big fan of ECS since I had trouble with my old K7S5A. I've always likes asus but this mobo had onboard audio and video and I didn't need a high end pc for my daughter.

Since it's an ECS, I'd say give up on it. Get a reputable brand. Get a name-brand PSU while you're at it. No-names fail and take mobos with them - not as common as it used to be, but it still happens.

That wasn't the answer I was looking for, I was thinking more along the lines of " Push the red button next to the CPU and it will boot no problems" Hey a guy can dream.... lol thanks for the help just the same guys, much appreciated. My pc store doesn't open until the 6th of Jan . I guess I'm gonna jump the extra $10 and get the Asus M2N-MX

Constant short beeps could either be the PSU or the motherboard. Might be that you need those 4 extra pins that are missing on the power plug.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownman
    Constant short beeps could either be the PSU or the motherboard. Might be that you need those 4 extra pins that are missing on the power plug.
    "I thought that maybe the PSU wasn't supplying enough power, so I switched over my OCZ 800W 24 pin still beeps. I looked in the manual and it says that a 20 pin PSU was ok to install."

I also thought that was my problem until I tried my PSU from my own pc.

You may not need the 24pin power connector , but you need the 4pin 12v P4connector for the cpu. Assuming you didn't forget to connect it , those continuous beeps are still usually a cpu warning. You might get lucky clearing cmos or replace the battery. I've had issues with their boards and bad batteries or shipping with the clear cmos jumper in the clear position.

Sorry I should have mentioned in my first post that yes, the 4 pin 12v connector was connected to the motherboard. I've tried 3 time to reset cmos still no go. I'll look around in my spare parts, I might have another socket AM2 cpu kicking around. Will post back results, if any lol.
    Thanks for bearing with me people.

I just installed an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ in my own pc and it works just fine. So I tried installing both my Athlon X2 6000+ and the 4200+ in the new motherboard, still no luck. So I think it's safe to say that the problem is a faulty motherboard. I know it might just have been bad luck that I got a lemon but NEVER AGAIN ECS!!!!!! lol
    (sorry all you ECS fans)

Quote Originally Posted by testy_1
    NEVER AGAIN ECS!!!!!! lol
    (sorry all you ECS fans)
    Both of them?