Thread: Loud Graphics Card Issue

Loud Graphics Card Issue

Hello,

I'm not too sure if this should go in the Graphics Card forum under the Hardware section or if it should go here since it's a bit of a technical question, but here goes....

In my PC, I have an ATi X700 AGP card. I'm pretty sure it's Power Color brand model:

Note: This is an image of the "Pro" model, but it's exactly what mine appears like.

While the card is a bit older, (2+ years), I've never had any complaints...until now. It seems this little card is LOUD. I don't know exactly when it happened, but over the summer, it wasn't much of an issue. But now that I've been keeping the windows shut and not running any fans in the room, it's almost unbearable.

This past weekend, I took the card and dusted it as well as used some air to blow any dirt out of the card/fan assembly. Unfortunately, it's still as loud as ever.

This evening, when I googled "Loud Graphics Card", I came across an interesting idea. On one page, someone mentioned:
    Remove fan from the heatsink - usually four screws.
    The underside of fan usually has a sticker on it and when peeled back you can see the fan spindle. Put a small drop of thin oil in the hole where spindle is and keep spinning the fan to work the oil in. If you blow through the fan (with your mouth) it will usually make the fan spin fast which helps the oil get into the spindle better.
    Once it spins nicely and freely, reasemble it and it should be fine .
    Make sure you do not use so much oil that it can come out on to graphics card.
    I use mineral oil.
    I would not use anything like vegetable oil as i think that eventually goes sticky and horrible from heat.
    Sounds like a nice idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience doing this and might have some feedback.

I think if this might not be an option, I might look to purchase one of those Artic Cooling (Accelero S2) solutions for ATi's.

Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    2005 Champion: Solitaire Nationals

I actually use airsoft gun lubricant, which is just 100% silicone oil. Worked great on a sluggish case fan. However I've never tried it on a small fan like that and I don't know if that would work to make it quieter. I don't think I would use mineral oil either, is that even safe to use on something such as a graphics card?
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

That's what I'm thinking! It sounds like a nice 'quick-fix', but this card has been great for everything I do and I don't want to shell out for a new one until I buy a whole new system. That being said, it might be just as inexpensive to buy one of those no-fan solutions. Honestly, I don't think I would take the card to high temperatures, but I think I'd rather pay $20 and play it safe then buy something that not only might not work, but could even damage the card...

The damage to the bearing is already done , so adding oil is only a temp fix . Order a replacement asap , as vga replacement fans can be hard to match at times .

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    They actually make a electric motor oil. A lot of shops that sell electric motors handle it.

But in a computer, using it is just a temporary fix and I suggest just replacing the noisy motor as the bearings/sleeves are already damaged. Usually just two squeeze pegs are all that hold the fan assembly to the video card.

Well, is it an actual buzzing sound or is it just a loud woooosh. May just be a loud fan?
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

Hmm...not too sure how I'd describe it. It's more of a loud "humming". When I stop the fan from turning, (which I probably should stop doing), it's quiet - but maybe only from comparison.

That makes sense about the oil. Honestly, I think I might go with that Arctic Cooling option then. It looks pretty bulky, but in this monster, I should definitely be good on clearance room. Plus, the benchmarks I saw for the product wasn't too shabby.

Honestly, I never even thought that bearings could be shot on these little fans. Shows what I know.

I think I'm going to unhook the little fan this weekend for just a bit. I won't really do anything more than just leave the PC on. Then, if it's tolerable, I'll probably be swayed to just purchase that monsterous heatsink option.