Thread: I need help, I cant make MagicDisc run on Win98se

I need help, I cant make MagicDisc run on Win98se

Hi, I'm having problem running MagicDisc on Win98, btw the magicdisc application I am talking about is the freeware Magic ISO Virtual CD/DVD that can be downloaded at http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/mi...c-overview.htm

I have been using MagicDisc as a virtual drive for cd's on xp and never had problems with it but when I used it on win98 it wont run as the "drivers" are not present. The application says it is made for "Windows 9x/Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista" so it means it should run in win98 right?

Here is the screen shot of the problem

I have tried updating the driver manually and selecting the "*.inf" file which is "mcdbus.inf" but after reboot the problem is still the same, sometimes windows 98 crashes on reboot. I have checked the xp version and it has a driver details named "mcdbus.sys" but in win98 it is a little bit different and has two driver details.

Anyway is there a way to fix this and make this run? The MagicDisc cant load virtual drives on win98. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Battousai1; 11-19-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Anyone?

Looking at Device Manager, it's obvious that you don't have all of your drivers installed. You can't just pick and choose what to install. You *must* have motherboard chipset drivers first. Once you have those, you may be able to install the others.

This is the problem with using new hardware and old operating systems. If there are no chipset, IDE and SATA drivers for Win98, the chances are that nothing else will work properly. It's like building a house without a foundation.

Tell us again why you feel that you must run a 10 year old operating system.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Looking at Device Manager, it's obvious that you don't have all of your drivers installed. You can't just pick and choose what to install. You *must* have motherboard chipset drivers first. Once you have those, you may be able to install the others.

This is the problem with using new hardware and old operating systems. If there are no chipset, IDE and SATA drivers for Win98, the chances are that nothing else will work properly. It's like building a house without a foundation.

Tell us again why you feel that you must run a 10 year old operating system.
    Hi! Thanks for the reply, I think I will just check on the motherboard's driver, but I am not sure if it is about that as this is a virtual drive being installed, I will also be trying out another virtual drive application and see what happens.

BTW there is a thread I made that explains why I needed to run win98 again, actually thats the root of all of this. here's the link: http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199085

As I explained in that thread, many devices and device drivers do not work in a virtual machine. You need to believe me.
    MS MCP, MCSE

What are the games that you want to run? I can play Doom (I) in XP.
    MS MCP, MCSE

As I explained in that thread, many devices and device drivers do not work in a virtual machine. You need to believe me.
    Hi! its not on a virtual machine anymore, I have made a separate partition for win98. To update you guys, I have tried a different virtual drive application and it worked, most probably the problem is in the magic disc application itself which is not working properly under win98.

What are the games that you want to run? I can play Doom (I) in XP.
    The game that cant run on xp even if you switch to compatibility mode is Final Fantasy VII, while the other game Metal Gear Solid Integral has some bugs on xp.

Anyway I have manage to fix things up, thanks for all the replies!