Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Back up your PC for disaster recovery

What Genie should do is license Drive Image XML from Runtime. It's available. With a little rebranding and the addition of scheduling, partition management and restore CD creation, they would have a competitive product.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Just got done testing Paragon Drive Backup 8.5. It's very good. It's only a wee bit less intuitive than True Image. It's more nerdy than Save and Restore. It's just as powerful as any. Good stuff.

Among these three, you can shop by price if you have some PC skills. If you are new to all of this tech talk, get Norton Save and Restore.
    MS MCP, MCSE

At the time of this writing, Drive Backup 8.5 is being offered for only $30. Go for it.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-personal/
    MS MCP, MCSE

Better news! Paragon is offering a FREE version now called Drive Backup Express.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

Get it!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Any good suggestions for Imaging Windows 2000 Server? Tru-Image home, And Paragon won't run under Server.

They won't run "under" Server, but the boot media should work with it. Have you tried it?
    MS MCP, MCSE

I haven't tried the Boot media As these machines are running all the time. I back up the Data nightly, but was hoping to be able to Image the Drives in case of a major hardware failure. When I attempt to install either Program I get a message that the software will not run on this OS.

If you want to image while running, you will need an enterprise version.

I would try installing it on a workstation and then using that machine to make the boot media.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks Bill I'll do that and see if I can get an Image made this weekend while everyone is off the network.

If this is for a business, your company should really invest in a backup solution. Acronis TrueImage Server with universal restore is pretty solid. You can do hot backups and even ftp images off site.

It's not cheap compared to home solutions, but you need to figure how much business $ will be lost if the server goes down.

Cool

I take issue with what was said about partitioning being hard. I've used Partition Magic for years with DOS then Windows 98 and now XP. Yes partitioning can be dangerous for the casual user. You should read how lay out your disk(s) first, but this tool is very easy to use and other than the C drive(system partition) you can do partition resizing while you have your Windows running. You command the tool to operate on the system partition while booted in to Windows and then you reboot and it does the actual process before bringing up the Windows sign-on screen. What does this have to do with backups, well I find that if I keep my apps on their own logical disk, and data generated by apps on their own partition separate from the system partition it keeps things nice and tidy for backups and as a side benefit it makes partition compressions much faster. I have used Ghost for years now and its saved my **** more times than I care to admit. I was very disappointed in version 12.0 of Ghost of which I experienced boot problems on my machine, but ghost 10.0 is solid. As a former computer center Administrator I would caution anyone that the only way you will know your backup process works is to test it by doing a recovery. To be ultra safe doing this you should have your system copied to another HD just in case(a back up in itself). This way you'll have confidence that you can depend on your process and always use high quality DVD/CD media if that is what you are using for non HD storage of backups. To be safe you should have multiple media, both DVD/CD and HD, every so often depending upon how much info you are generating that you absolutely can't lose. A typical Ghost 10.0 backup of my total system(6 parttions) takes about 16 minutes to create. I will admit I'm using a RAID 0 WD Raptor disk to do the writing so my time is going to be faster than most people out there.

This thread was not started for the benefit of IT admins. It was created for average users and newbies. Admins don't need backup or partitioning tutorials.

All recent versions of Ghost have been really disappointing to me. They cannot be counted on and are always prompting for activation. Since buying an older version of Ghost is near impossible, I cannot recommend it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks for restore options.

Tayler

hey, cool tips. I understand the importance of backing up my laptop. I lost my phone couple of days back and lost all contacts, msgs, etc., Now I want to be safe in all the gadgets I use. Thanks for the tips and alerting me

It's gratifying to see that this 6-year old thread is still of use. Backup is numero uno right along with true surge protection for uninterrupted personal computing.

MS MCP, MCSE