Thread: Replacing a 9800 Pro

Replacing a 9800 Pro

Greetings It's been a while since my last post!

After rediscovering my passion for GTA, I'm looking to replace my 9800 Pro AGP 128MB with something a bit more powerful to run the game. I can get a sweet deal on a Sapphire X1650 Pro 512MB, so I've been reading up (reading up on hardware is something I haven't done in a long time...) and I'm afraid that the performance gain isn't noticeable. Can anyone give me some input on this?

Thanks

"Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

I've been through the charts, but neither card is tested is that round. Actually, because of the time lapse between their release, those two cards are never tested against each other.

The 9800Pro is rated a little below nvidia's 6600GT from what i recall. try using the 6600GT as a reference.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

Hi bassman

I've been playing GTA (San Andreas) again recently, and it runs really well on my A64 3000 with a 6600GT - not really much better than a 9800 Pro... Are you sure it's the graphics card that's holding you back in the game, and not the rest of the system?
    Samsung NC10 | IBM Thinkpad 240
    We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Hello!

I'm running the game on a 3GHz P4 (Northwood) w/ 2GB RAM so I'm definitely going to measure the CPU's usage before I go about spending money. It's just that I stumbled on the deal for the X1650 and I checked that out first. In fact, there isn't much of a difference between the 6600 (which Rockstar Games recommends) at high resolutions (**** this big monitor!) and the X1650 Pro, or at least the difference may not be high enough to justify the investment...I'm going to look into this, just wanted your informed opinions