Thread: net adapter issue

net adapter issue

I have an A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo and only until now does the marvell net adapter start reseting my internet connection. The Nvidia adapter used to work like a charm until some idiot decided that using a "tweak" program by Uniblue or something was a great idea. My net still goes at the proper speeds but now my pings for gaming which were originally 18....and now 100+ The tweak prog he used has been removed as well as the default setting for the adapter. Anyone know how I can reset teh Nvidia controller to its default perimeters?

did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers? did you try updated drivers?

There is no way for us to know what your "tweak" program did, especially if you're not sure what program it was.

Back your data up and reinstall Windows (or recover from a backup if you're a member of that <1% of PC owners ) It sounds extreme, but as Midknyte alluded to, if you don't even know what the program "tweaked", or what program it even was, how are you supposed to fix the damage?
    Samsung NC10 | IBM Thinkpad 240
    We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Make sure that the nVidia Software Firewall is Not installed.

Use this to Optimize the TCP/IP Stack.
    Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

Never use a Blind Tweak Program.

Even if it works, well on one computer, it might not work well on another cause Hardware and software settings are Not Universal.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

i never use firewalls of any sort. also my friend does these dumb things to my pc thinking he knows tweaking. I tried what you suggested and i still get the same. any other options?

Uninstall the driver in Device Manager. Reboot.

If you still have issues, update the driver with either the nVidia platform drivers or from the motherboard maker's web site.

If no joy, repair Windows. Search Google for "XP repair" and follow the instructions. If still no go, reinstall Windows and shoot your "friend", but not necessarily in that order.

Don't forget that you have System Restore. Don't wait too long to use it!

Standard rant:

Dammit, you had better develop and use a backup plan if your PC is important to you. See our Tech Tools sticky and find a program for imaging your hard drive on a regular basis. Total restore time is usually 30 minutes or less. All you need is a spare hard drive and Ghost or True Image. We recommend the latter.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Just found a great online/offline backup tool for those on a budget or just too busy to be bothered to plan for a disaster:

www.crashplan.com

As it turns out, CrashPlan is not a proper imaging program. I will create a sticky thread about how to image a drive.
    MS MCP, MCSE

MS MCP, MCSE

you might have installed the nvidia firewall by accident since it is bundled with the chipset drivers. double check that.

You can try a system restore to a date before your friend "tweaked" your computer. otherwise, there isn't much we can do. If you don't know what disease the patient has, how can a doctor cure it?