Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: notebook cpu needs upgrading

notebook cpu needs upgrading

i have a presario V6000 notebook with a core duo 2250 cpu and I would like to upgrade it, I bought this about 9 months ago from them and they shipped it from china to me and its just to slooow

I checked out HP's site and they don't show this cpu, I emailed them but thought maybe someone could give some infomation over here on this , the computer has 2 gigs of ram and this cpu with vista basic , it would have probably been ok with XP ,

This is a hard question to answer because HP/Compaq pc's are generally built "as is" , hence why there is limited info on the HP/Compaq support site , especially for older models and upgrades . The Service Manual suggests the V6000 series was sold with the 940GML, 943GM, 945PM and 945GM system boards ( Compaq versions ) . The top end "full featured" model sold included the 945GM system board with the T7200 processor . Since the T2250 is a Core Duo family processsor only supported in the 945GM model , then my assumption is the T7200 will work . The serial number of the laptop is key to confirming the system spec's . And you would need to be sure you have the latest bios firmware as well. Its a $300us DIY upgrade , more if you have it done by a pro . I would wait for a confirmation from HP/Compaq before you buy . Selling the old and upgrading to a new Core2 Duo is not a bad recommendation , since if you add up the risk and cost , its a sensible one .

I got the email the other day and this is what was said to me

Let me assist you in this regard.

I have verified in our database and found that your Notebook supports the following processors

1. T2050 (1.6GHz, Tj85, 533FSB)
    2. T2250 (1.73GHz, Tj85, 533FSB)

Please be informed that your Notebook is preinstalled with the T2250 (1.73GHz, Tj85, 533FSB) which has higher configurations among the processors that support your Notebook and this is the maximum possible upgrade available for your Notebook. However, HP does not recommend upgrading of processor, because the notebook computers are equipped with onboard Processor chipset and there is no provision for upgrading the Processor.

my other thoughts are buying a full XP OS and installing it

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    If they have the XP drivers for the notebook, it is do able.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...n&cc=us&dlc=en

However, HP does not recommend upgrading of processor, because the notebook computers are equipped with onboard Processor chipset and there is no provision for upgrading the Processor.
    This statement doesn't make sense , unless he'd claiming the cpu is soldered to the board , which I very much doubt . Makes you wonder what they do know and if the first statement is true at all .

I believe he's says the cpu can't be upgraded because the board doesn't support anything higher then the cpu I have in there , also something about the onboard chip , I have no idea what he's talking about with that!

could you shed some more light with the onboard chip

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech
    This statement doesn't make sense , unless he'd claiming the cpu is soldered to the board , which I very much doubt . Makes you wonder what they do know and if the first statement is true at all .

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Probably refering to the chipset and/or the bios chip.

The system board is designed around a chipset , such as the Intel 945GM . The board includes a bios chip that is programed with a microcode for the cpu's that will work with the system board's design . Compaq has some control over the system board and the bios program . So, they can limit the systems design potential .

Download CPU-Z and post back this info :

CPU tab - Processor name and code, Clock info
    Mainboard tab - Manuf. , model , chipset , Bios info
    Memory / SPD tabs - memory type, size, bandwith

Also , the Compaq model and serial number on the bottom of the laptop . Then, we'll see if we can be more specific .

CPU>intel core duo T2250, yonah,socket 479mpga 1729.7mhz,x6.0 133.o mhz,532.2mhz,
    quanta ,30bb, i945gm, f.16
    ddr2 2048mb dual 266.1 mhz , 1.2 cass latency 4.0
    slot#1 ddr2 1024 pc2 5300 333 mhz corsair vs1gsds667d2 microsoft 6.0 home basic

The system board is designed around a chipset , such as the Intel 945GM . The board includes a bios chip that is programed with a microcode for the cpu's that will work with the system board's design . Compaq has some control over the system board and the bios program . So, they can limit the systems design potential .

Download CPU-Z and post back this info :

CPU tab - Processor name and code, Clock info
    Mainboard tab - Manuf. , model , chipset , Bios info
    Memory / SPD tabs - memory type, size, bandwith

Also , the Compaq model and serial number on the bottom of the laptop . Then, we'll see if we can be more specific .

model and s/n ?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Your laptop is not slow because of the CPU speed and upgrading it will not help.

You either have a virus, spyware, of crapware installed from the factory. A good cleaning out with Adware Away, Counterspy, and Registry Booster should bring it back to the expected blazing fast speeds it is capable of providing.

model and s/n ?
    presario V6000

S/N CNF7111RC1

P/N EZ855AV

the computer{ compaq presario V6000} just reacts slow compared to my celeron dell 600m laptop running @ 1395mhz with xp and with 1gig of DDR ram

specs on the dell, cpuz test results

intel celeron M 360
    socket 479 mPGA
    celeron R M 1.40 GHZ
    core speed 1395.5 MHZ

chipset i855PM

DDR 1024 Mbytes

windows xp home service pack 2

direct x9.0c

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    Your laptop is not slow because of the CPU speed and upgrading it will not help.

You either have a virus, spyware, of crapware installed from the factory. A good cleaning out with Adware Away, Counterspy, and Registry Booster should bring it back to the expected blazing fast speeds it is capable of providing.
    Last edited by longway; 11-30-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Does it have the AMD Sempron 3200+ 1.6 GHz with 512 MB of DDR II SDRAM ?

You have to have the correct model number for the laptop in order to find out any info from compaq.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...842078&lang=en