Thread: IBM Secure IDE Question

IBM Secure IDE Question

I am using an IBM PC 300GL as my webserver, when I orgionally go it the Secure IDE option in the BIOS was enabled, however i didn't notice and installed a new hard drive into it. Now if i disable this opyion in the BIOS the CDROM and hard drive will not detect. I just had a couple of questions, if i choose to take the hard drive out and put it in another computer will it work (I don't care about the data on it)? Is there any way to disable this once it is enabled?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    From what I remember from years and years ago, once the secure IDE option is enabled, the drive will not work on any other system.

I have the same type of options on my new Dell Workstation and I am staying far, far away from the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    From what I remember from years and years ago, once the secure IDE option is enabled, the drive will not work on any other system.

I have the same type of options on my new Dell Workstation and I am staying far, far away from the option.
    Do you recall any way to reverse it?

Not so sure we'd want to post the "how to" on an Open to the Public message board

Would suggest Google.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

There was no way to reverse it that I recall. That is why they called it secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones
    Not so sure we'd want to post the "how to" on an Open to the Public message board

Would suggest Google.
    Maybe not, couldn't find anything in Google.

[QUOTE=Sterling_Aug]There was no way to reverse it that I recall. That is why they called it secure.[QUOTE]

I'll keep searching, I may try calling IBM, if the data on the drive goes I couldn't care less.

Secure Mode

I've had a few of these issues in the past with IBM laptops. The users could not remember the password or would swear they never gave it one. The line from IBM was that a new motherboard would be required. Drive locking is not covered under any warranty-- I've pulled such drives to try and recover data but to no success. It is a decent security method-- provided the password is not forgotten.

During the attempted recovery period I recall seeing a few sites advertising that they could unlock the drives for a fee. Never looked into them though.

Quote Originally Posted by unfguy
    I've had a few of these issues in the past with IBM laptops. The users could not remember the password or would swear they never gave it one. The line from IBM was that a new motherboard would be required. Drive locking is not covered under any warranty-- I've pulled such drives to try and recover data but to no success. It is a decent security method-- provided the password is not forgotten.

During the attempted recovery period I recall seeing a few sites advertising that they could unlock the drives for a fee. Never looked into them though.
    Thanks, I didn't think that there was much i could do, it would be cheaper to just buy another drive.

Yes, considering that you can get a 250 GB drive for way less than the 8GB drives that were standard in the 300GL when they were new.