Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Upgrading AGP Video Card

Advice on Upgrading AGP Video Card

Its been probably about 4 years since ive built the computer than im currently using, and it works just fine for the work i do on it, but I have a feeling its not much of a gaming machine anymore. First ill list my basic setup:

athlon xp 2600+ (overclocked to around 3200+ specs)
    1GB ddr pc3200
    motherboard - Abit NF7S v2
    radeon 9800 pro 128mb

LIke i said, i havent done any gaming in a while, but id like to get the Orange Box and be able to play the games and a decent framerate, maybe a couple other games as well.

I havent really even looked at video cards at such a long time, i dont know whats good anymore, or if i can even get a decent card still for my AGP system. I was looking on pricewatch but im getting a little confused as im not familiar with most of the model numbers and such. I dont want to spend to much, but what could i get for around $100 (give or take) that would be an improvement over what i have?

Thanks in advance.

after i posted i did some more searching, and it seems one of the best agp available is the X1950 PRO.

I found this GeCube card on newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241041

Looks like a good deal for $150 (also a $35 rebate), but will i have enough power to run this card? My current power supply is an Antec 350W, its runs everything i currently have fine, but would i need to upgrade that if i get this card?

I sure would. Does that PSU even have a 6-pin connector? Even if it did, I doubt you'd have enough power. You can get a good 600W PSU for less than $100 these days, best off just doing it now.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

it does not have a 6 pin connector, but i believe that the card comes packaged with an adapter.

If the card also comes with extra wattage output that you can cram into your PSU, then keep using that PSU. Otherwise, get a newer and more powerful one.

hehe, thanks i will.

Another question though, compared to the rest of my system, does the X1950 PRO seem like it would be overkill? I dont want to get a more powerful card and then have the rest of the system be the bottleneck. Should i save money and get a lesser card, like a X1650 PRO?

As far as the PS, i was looking at a couple of Thermaltakes at newegg that are reasonably priced, would 430W be enough or should i go for 500W? Thanks, youve been a big help.

If you're looking for multi-tasking capability, then Socket A itself is a bottleneck I guess. I don't say that lightly, either; the v2 flavor of the NF7-S is one of the best Socket As ever made. To be honest, with the prices as low as they are now your money would be better spent on an AM2 system. Multicore is too inexpensive now not to upgrade to. As far as the PSU, whichever way you decide on the rest of the system - don't scrimp on the power. Get a 600W just to have the reserve. A 430W PSU will work harder to put out a stable 275W than a 600W PSU would, which means more operating heat which in turn means shorter useable lifespan.

Just to add a bit more... If in fact its been four years, and even though you might not play as many vidoe games as some of us, its still pretty outdated as far as systems go....
    Say you were to JUST get that video card. Thats fine, but then it would follow and only be natural for your mind to realize its a waste on such an old system regardless. Pratically speaking, it trully does make more sense to first think about upgrading to somethng more mainstream. Either platform,whther AM2 or Core 2 Dual have tremedous advantages and will keep up with all the dirvers, hardware and since you mentioned it.., games.
    I was looking at to me prebuilt systems at TigerDirect, and one i just saw aws going for like less then $400.00 and had a new Q6600 CPU, 2 GB's memory by Crutial, 250 GB HD, and 2 7300GT video cards, plus an EGVA 680i chipset motherboard. Thats a really good deal.. the CPU,mobo, and HD are worth the price alone.

My rig listed here is partially 6 years old and.. 2 years old. End of 2005 i got the mobo, and CPU. Then nine months ago, i got a new video card for it. Same memory as i used in 2001...
    For your info, i am currently in process of major upgrade. Just waiting for my new PSU, and PCI controller card... Already have the CPU,memory,and mobo...

If you did for purposes of temp. and now , then a new PSU,which is not too expensive is probably something to pick up to go with a much more powerful
    video card.... of course it depends upon if you have mutiple HD's and or optical drives connected, along with fans..etc..For your rig 450Watt is good and 'Corsair' just released one at that size that beats most 550 watters out now. ( its the only one they have listed...so its easy to find it ) LOL
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 11-09-2007 at 01:50 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

You need a PSU will two separate rails with a Molex connector on each what will supply 15A each to the card. If not the card will not work

So if you want this card you will need a new PSU.

Post if yo need advice on a suitable PSU

G, just in case ya missed it, i did go ahead and ordered a 'OCZ' GameStream model.

I opted for the 600 watt one , which is plenty good enough, and has 4 seperate 12V rails. In addition, this one has a couple more molex connectors, ( 7 total believe ) , which is more then i need. My current case has (4) 80MM fans, and right at the moment i have to use one molex for a fan hookup. I'm hoping to get a 4 connection fan controller so that will be mute at some point. i only forsee needing 5 total ..possibly six so ( 2 IDE HD's, 2 optical drives , and i don't need one for my video card. Gosh.., i really want a new case. The one i have i could use forever, but its old now ( over 6 years ), and is bulky and heavy ( weighs just short of a ton LOL )
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

'OCZ' GameStream model, and any OCZ PSU are tip-top.

This make of PSU I use as standard now.

You have plenty of future growth with this PSU you have

yeah.. ( sorry to take over the post for a bit LOL ) I just found out its been shipped today, which means i will be able to put this new system together by this weekend. Great timing... hate to wait another weekend ... ichy ya know. I've waited a long time for this. Running current system since end of 2005.
    That nice to know 'G' ... Don't be surpirsed if i contact you soon and ask some questions, before i build this thing. I know what to do, its just i have no printer and all info if anything goes wrong is stored on my hard drives... No close hand help near where i live either.. soley my baby.. lol Would have to use a friiends computer somewhere to get online and ask some questions here... Thks for the input..

Sure , email at will

G, I would but it says your not accepting emails.. I just wrote you a pretty long inquiry, and kind of goes along with the rest of my day today.. What do you suggest i do now? private messages are blocked also... ( boy i hate one way conversations

I'm more or less a kind of pivate person myself, but theres always aways of getting ahold of me.

Rabbit, ever since the new Sysopt.com web site update over a year a go my PM's has never worked.

I can send them to others but they cannot send them to me. So I always give this explanation that a reply to me via PM will not work so here’s my email.

I've tried repeatedly to sort it out over the past year plus but gave up.

So I'II send you a PM with my email ok