Thread: Wireless Connection With Router Only?

Wireless Connection With Router Only?

Probably a silly idea, but I was always under the impression I could use my wireless router to pick up a signal and get me online if one was available. Is there anyway I can get a wireless signal as the internet source for the router to distribute to my pcs without an actual wifi card or usb device? It kind of seems possible with the right settings, like if I manually enter some kind of ip information in the control panel or a proxy setting from whatever the hotspot source is?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Does the router have a client bridge mode?

You can also buy a wireless ethernet bridge and connect that to a switch.

Assuming that you have one Wireless Router.

You need to buy a Router that can be configured as a Client (very few Routers can) and plug the computers to the Routers ports.

This Router can be Flashed with a free 3rd party firmware and act as a client.

Here is the general idea, http://www.ezlan.net/buffalo.html

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

It's a Linksys WRT54G, I just googled the model name with the term from the first reply and it seems like I might can do it. http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear

How do I find hotspots and stuff though if this tutorial is the ticket I? I'm also very new to the aspect of finding sources. I found a program that could search, but it needed an internal wireless card and couldn't work with just the router.

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Better off just using a Wireless USB adapter to connect to Wireless network would be alot less headache than re-firmwaring the router, altho my WRT54GS is re-firmed using someones modified Firmware, dont remember which but it allowed me Client acces and better signal levels
    -Don't Present me with a Problem, Present me with a Possible Solution-

Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade
    Better off just using a Wireless USB adapter to connect to Wireless network would be alot less headache than re-firmwaring the router
    If few computers are close by you save money and get much better service by using one good Wireless Client device that feed them all with wires.

There is No need to Flash and do any thing (I forgot about it in my posts above), this device is very good and it built for this purpose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162168

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Awesome progress today, I was already was tinkering around since yesterday with the link cat6 provided, but today it finally beared some serious fruit. Since I got the new firmware running, I went in the wireless settings and it detected some other wireless networks. I connected, but I couldn't browse though.