Thread: Gaming PC

Gaming PC

Wanst sure where to post this but i thought gaming was right since it was for a gaming pc.

hey guys..
    i havnt bein into the tech for the past 2 years and im plaining on building the top end machine..
    Was wondering if anyone could give me a list for all the top end parts and mabey some sugestions.
    Money isnt a problem but i still dont wana pay for the best if 2nd best is much cheaper and close to its performance.

Allso had a quick look at this new ddr3 is it worth getting over quailty ddr2?

Sorry i fell like a dumb boo atm 2 years is a long time out in puter world lol hope i can get some help..

thx..

Sry thought of some things..

Is windows vista 64 best op to get for a new system?

Monitors i was thinking somthing like this is it a good pick? http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/23316/

duel cards is Ati stil the fastest? same with cpus i read intel are best for gaming atm?

Hard drives? is it still best to go a raid setup or are they fast anuff now that its better to keep a safe setup and just use one big one?

thx.

That's really overkill IMO.

Something like say a Core 2 Duo 6750, GF 8800 GTX, 2 GB of ram, 550w ~600w PSU and a GB P35 series Motherboard would be more than good enough.

SLi still isn't worth the money unless you are running benchmarks all day long every day.

Other words you can build a system for half that that will play games just as well, read you couldn't tell the difference when gaming.

Also you really don't need a sound card today either with the current onboard sound that is on the better motherboards.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

God God, man, that rig could run the NASA space program. I didn't even bother totalling up what you have there, but it's gotta be around AU$4000. You can build a terminator system these days for a third of that.

Unless you plan to run the 64-bit version of XP or Vista, 4GB of RAM is wasted. The 32-bit versions won't even see that much.

If you insist on that configuration, I'll give you my shipping address so I can test it out for you....for quality control, yeah that's it, quality control....
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Ankerson is a good mod and knows his stuff. listen to him... What he listed is plenty good enough....and very high end.

DDR3 being a new product is not what I would get.. DDR2 ( good ram that fits your mobo selection and system (2GB ) will be best. Very cheap prices right now.

Pick the mobo and CPU first..then ram, then PSU... 600 watt and above, and read the stickies here posted in this forum for clues.. LOL

Just don't run out and get a pre built.. if you have at least some knowledge and i know you do.. ( overkill prices and hype ALWAYS )

For around a $1000.00 one can build a killer system nowadays....
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

If you're planning on upgrading to 2 8800 Ultra's later, the Striker Extreme is the board to get. Otherwise, there are far more stable boards on the market currently that Overclock better. Everything else is just plain awesome. If you have the money to drop on a system like that, and you don't mind, do it for sure. That's one kick *** system.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

My main goal with this system was for when crisis is relaesed to be able to run it full settings high rez on a nice big LCD like i picked.

My current rig i think iv had for little over 2 years now and was hoping for my new one to last atlest that.. Im the type of person if its a game thats good graphics as its main fetaure i wana run it full or i really dont wana play it.

Im not that up to date on perfomance any links to mabey a cheaper cpu that is all most as fast?

I would like to shave a few bucks off what i have there but in sayng that i still want a top notch rig.and im all over that overclocking i used to use water cooling and that but just after a stable top line rig atm.

My current rig.. is doing ok but crisis will kill it on full.

Amd 64 4000+
    asus a8n32-sli-deluxe
    1g 550mhz
    7800gtx 256mb ..playing up atm think its gona die.
    So in a new system im looking for a decent upgrade from what i have somthing close to what i have listed in performance.

Ill go do some research on cards but i dont think 1 card can do what im looking for.
    Last edited by willywonka; 09-26-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Btw thanks heaps for the replies guys

Quote Originally Posted by willywonka
    My main goal with this system was for when crisis is relaesed to be able to run it full settings high rez on a nice big LCD like i picked.

My current rig i think iv had for little over 2 years now and was hoping for my new one to last atlest that.. Im the type of person if its a game thats good graphics as its main fetaure i wana run it full or i really dont wana play it.

Im not that up to date on perfomance any links to mabey a cheaper cpu that is all most as fast?

I would like to shave a few bucks off what i have there but in sayng that i still want a top notch rig.and im all over that overclocking i used to use water cooling and that but just after a stable top line rig atm.

My current rig.. is doing ok but crisis will kill it on full.

Amd 64 4000+
    asus a8n32-sli-deluxe
    1g 550mhz
    7800gtx 256mb ..playing up atm think its gona die.
    So in a new system im looking for a decent upgrade from what i have somthing close to what i have listed in performance.

Ill go do some research on cards but i dont think 1 card can do what im looking for.
    There are no current cards that will handle Crisis with full blown settings, DX10 with everything turned up. We will have to wait until the 2nd generation DX10 cards to come out before that happens.

Also unless you are going to run Vista it won't matter much because XP doesn't support DX10 so you wouldn't beable to run it at max settings.

Just look at what I recommened above, it WILL play anything that's out right now at full settings on the monitor you chose. You won't gain that much FPS wise playing games to justify a SLi setup. A single card is still better 98% of the time.

As a side note, the system in my sig will play everything I have tried at full settings at good frame rates and I have a 22" LCD including FEAR, Tomb Raider Legend (TRL is a system killer at high res in NG mode) and others.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Just because i have the time.. ( lol ).. Again ...please>>! listen up. Those parts are nice alright,but lets get real here...

If yuor intent is just going out and gettting ahold of the highest of evrything out there for sake of just that.. and you want to be a bit ponpous and have the monies( no object ) , then go ahead and spend away.

But.., if your iintent is to play any game out right now,even some good DX 10 games, then its still extreme overkill... $1400.00 for any CPU just put on the market is not being wise nor practical..

Quad cores just ame out and they are nice,, but I don't beleive they were strickly meant for gamers in mind. technical adcances and mobo choices and proven track records are suspect,until we know a bit more.. Limited choices??

Also, i believe the two graphic card platform, esp.. with two of those is overkill to the max. possibly getting two 8800GTS would save monies??, and be more than enough for ya... SLI ?? well..

CPU,and graphics card is what you might consider to change. Any other piece of HW is up to you...

One should also consider things that most who build current systems overlook. That is..; One can always upgrade when the tech. changes and it will Always.. sooner than you think. prices will come down sooner than snot... and i would guess one third of money spent will be lost soon enough..

Just some thoughts.... LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

as far as the HDD goes that 750 will be better used as a storage drive, the best you can get to install the OS and your games are still the raptor drives. Nice choice in monitor BTW. You should just get 1 8800 Ultra card, that will do you just fine. And for Crysis, it will be optimized for the Quad Cores, hence why i got it. And if your going to be doing any overclocking, you can get better ram than that, OCZ makes some darn good ram too, take a look at my sig, i built this system around what crysis has to offer.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU

Ultimate Member
    8800Ultra's are a total waste of money... All they are is slightly OCed GTX cards for a huge premium.

Ankerson's build was nice id go with that if anything, he know's his stuff without a doupt
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core