Thread: being watched?

being watched?

ok.. so i know that my office can see my emails and i know that some copy machines can supposedly keep track of what gets scanned...

my question here is... can my office keep track of what im printing from my computer? whether its saving it to a server or printing an additional copy at another location to spy on employees?

im guessing they can but would it really be cost effective? hope someone here knows and can let me know :P

The motto is, if it software any thing is possible.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

whether its saving it to a server or printing an additional copy at another location to spy on employees?
    .....in my experience local print jobs (printing to a printer directly connected to your computer) would rarely be tracked. They can, however, monitor your computer locally if they really wanted to. They can also monitor the network and see if you're accessing files on the server quite easily - whether they're printed or not.

Once you use a network printer of any sort there's plenty of software out there that can monitor the network and log user print jobs as well.

and anything saved on the server is usually there for all to see unless you as an employee have a specified and private folder, even then the IT admin would have access to your stuff.

As for printing to another location (whenever you or anyone else prints something) to "spy on employees" - don't get that. They don't need to kill trees to monitor what you're doing.

So do you - need to be monitored? Most companies adopt an IT policy - if you don't pay attention to it you could have an unpleasant surprise in store.
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

You certainly aren't doing anything you shouldn't be doing, are you? So why worry about it?
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Quote Originally Posted by kthomllc
    my question here is... can my office keep track of what im printing from my computer?
    YES

Are they doing it?... In my experience, only if someone is under suspicion. Otherwise, that's a HUGE waste of time.

BTW... I'm talking about what files are being printed.

If your company is trying to cut back on paper and toner use, things like who is printing out how many pages and how many MB can be easily monitored.
    Tickle it...

yeah the thing is im printing personal info for a new company im joining and i dont want my current to know im leaving

does software have to be on my computer in order for them to watch my print jobs? or can it be on their servers only?
    Last edited by kthomllc; 04-10-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Most companies use print servers, so they can monitor print jobs. That's basic.

We are not in here to get you around your company's IT policy. If you know you're not supposed to print personal stuff, don't do it. Thread closed.