Thread: Acronis TrueImage 10 asking for user password when there is none

Acronis TrueImage 10 asking for user password when there is none

I'm setting up a task in TrueImage 10 to do a nightly incremental backup. During the process of setting this up, the wizard asked for User Information:

Select the user name and password.

Enter the name and password of a user. The task will run as if it was started by that user. Please note that the domain name must be specified if the user is a member of a domain.
    In the user name field, it is already filled in with "computer name/windows user". Below that, it asks for a password, but there is no password for this user. When I hit NEXT, it says, "The login information is not correct. Are you sure you want to continue with this task." But the login info is correct.

I remember reading that if you don't enter the password, it may not perform the task. But then again, they may just be referring to those users that do have a password.

How do I get around this error?

what OS are you running? is the user an administrator?

are you just saying "computer name/windows user" or is that literally what the field says?

you have to put in the computername\username

so if your computer is named workerbee and the username is bob, the field should say: workerbee\bob

It's running XP Pro SP2, and yes, I'm logged on as an admin.

No, I don't mean that I am literally putting computername\username. It's the correct computer name and username for this computer with the correct "\".

Any other ideas? This happened on another system as well. Bug with TI10? Way around it?

did you check for a TI10 update? go to the acronis website and check for updates.

I installed a copy of TI10 on my test system and let me get past the password section. you're using the currently logged in user, right? or are you trying to schedule with a different user?

Ultimate Member
    It sounds like you need to enter the Password for the computer account that you
    are entering in the User Name Field

Also see this from Acronis:

Frequently asked questions about
    Acronis® True Image 10 Home

I have run/scheduled a task to create an image to the mapped drive. It sometimes works, sometimes not. What should I do?

When you map the drive, it becomes mapped only under your Windows account. Acronis® True Image 10 Home runs its tasks using the system account and so it is sometimes impossible to locate your mapped drive (especially when you are logged off). Please use the full UNC path (e.g. \\server\share\) instead of the mapped drive.
    Last edited by bruceb; 07-27-2007 at 05:35 PM.

I check the site, and I have the latest build 4942. I was able to get past the password section with 3 other computers, which are all using the same external hard drive.

The Windows user name that the troubled system has consists of two words with 2 spaces between them. Maybe that's the cause?

Also, I wondered if the user name had been changed from another one. Usually, when that is the case, the user folder under Documents and Settings is named the original user. However, this user has its own folder.

Ideas?

you should NEVER use a space in a user or computer name.

use an underscore _ if you have to.

So, what do you suggest, Midknyte? Do I change the user name? If I do that, it might not work, as I heard that one of the causes of this might be that people are using the current user name, and Acronis is looking for the original user name. However, that is not confirmed as one of reasons for this issue (there seem to be more than one).

Also, should I add a password and then try it? Thing is, the other computers were able to perform the sheduled backup without having a password.

We emailed Acronis, and this was their reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis products (http://www.acronis.com/products/).

Please be aware that it is necessary to input the username and password of your windows account with administrator privileges.

You can find the administrator users name in the control panel -> users module.

If you do not use the password for the windows account, please input the users name and leave the password box empty. However, it may cause some issues with scheduled task running.

Thank you.

Note that you can quickly find the answers to your questions in Acronis Support Knowledge Base at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/kb/.

adding a password probably won't help. I'm pretty sure the space in the name is causing the problem.

If you change the username and manually specify that user in acronis, I don't see why you'd have a problem.

Just wanted to post the fix. Create a new administrator user account in Windows, name it "Backup", or another one word/no space user name, and assign a password to it. Then, open True Image 10, schedule an incremental backup, and when it asks for the computername\windowsuser, leave the computer name as-is, and just change the windows user to the new one that you just created. Enter the password. Now, you should be able to get past that part of the wizard (this is where the "Login information is not correct" error occurred, and complete the task.

I had to do this for two clients, and both had two word user names with no password.

i wouldn't call it a "fix"; it's a workaround. main thing is that it's working.

It's not a problem specific to TI. You're supposed to follow the standard naming conventions. No spaces or special characters in user or computer names. I don't see why windows lets you use a name with spaces in it in the first place.