IRQL_not_less_than_or_equal

0xA (0x0, 0xD, 0x805fdd33) the last code is listed 2X

XP pro. Installing on an old y2k pc

asus p2b-vm p3 550mhz
    intel 440BX chipset.
    128mb
    64mb
    32mb pc100 ram
    total 192, dropped the 64 because it started showing only 32 intermittantly.
    old 2gb hdd

tried various vid cards (including ones which should have drivers on a stock XP install CD), all dimms by themselves, disabled everything in bios, FDD, both serial ports, not shadowing anything, relaxed the memory timing. CPU running underclocked. everything i can think to do I've done.

get this BSOD when its about 70% though "installing devices"
    this is a clean install. wtf.

there is not problem with the RAM, there are only 3 IRQ's in use, 14,15 (IDE) and 11 for the agp card. non else are listed, everything I can disable in bios, is disabled, anything I can disable via jumper is disabled. its XP's fault.

how can I just get XP to STOP trying to install whatever the hell is causing the problem?!?!
    System now:
    1.8ghz northwood. (will pin mod to OC later)
    568MB DDR1 at 200mhz
    Sapphire Radeon 9500 np
    16GB 15k scsi if i can get it to work
    160GB wdc RAID 1

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    IRQ errors are almost always a driver issue.

Take out anything you can (such as modems, NICs, any add on cards, extra hard drives, etc) then do a repair install of XP. If it boots up fine, then add in one device with a reboot inbetween each new device.

I'd be surprised if XP Pro ever works on that hardware, it's so far below recommended spec. At the very least, a clean install of XP Pro by itself comes close to using the entire hard drive.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Pentium 2 works fine with XP Pro no sweat

you just need enough RAM

XP Pro can run with as little as 64 Mb

if you don't mind the LAG

Yeah old Hardware are known to have IRQ issues, back then the IRQ handling was never good enough, and totally unpolished.

with old machine like those, and crappy drivers, it was always best to MANUALLY ASSIGN the IRQ settings in BIOS and in Windows.

and not use ACPI PC, instead using Standard PC install for "Computer Type"

that's how i dealt with those problems in the past, and it works flawlessly since you know exactly which device is using which IRQ + DMA

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Ultimate Member
    "IRQLnot less or equal" errors are NOT "IRQ conflicts", let's not spin that old myth again, thanks.

What it is is just a generic driver crash, probably caused by bad RAM, an early and poor ACPI implementation in BIOS, or something that isn't compliant to the OS you're trying to install.

So, first things first. Update to the latest BIOS. Run a proper memory test. Then try again.

you can try the f7 option when installing XP. That's not a typo. F7 forces the standard PC HAL.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Ultimate Member
    Test the RAM for faults using memtest86 or similar. Could be causing it.

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    you can try the f7 option when installing XP. That's not a typo. F7 forces the standard PC HAL.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
    ... which is about the worst thing you can do. No power savings, no CPU speed control, no fast interrupt controllers, no hyperthreading, no dualcore processors, no nothing. It might "work", but it's totally useless on a modern machine.

Fix it first, then install normally.

PM: Yeah I know. the board is pretty old, so there may not be a newer bios. F7 should be a last resort type option.

dosmastr:
    there is not problem with the RAM
    What did you run to confirm this?