Thread: Office 2007 comments thread

Hybrid View

Office 2007 comments thread

Okay so I've been using office 2007 from about the time that Windows Vista came out.

Now I used find the old Office packages a breeze to use. I knew where everything was and how to use everything.

Whenever any of my frieds looked at me watching it they said that it was like watching a scene out of the movie minority report.

But I don't know about the rest of your, but the source of most of my head aches in the last few months has been as a result of having to re-learn how to use MS word and MS excel (my two most used programs). I find powerpoint pretty easy to use still.

I mean once I work out how to use something, I think to myself that that makes perfect sense. But still....I seem to be ALWAYS going to and from the help function.

I'm thinking that there is no REAL advantage to using Office 2007. It doesn't really do anything that Office XP doesn't (apart from give me headaches)

Just wondering of any of your experiences with the packages.

So far with the Office 2007 testing groups at work, I've noticed a pattern developing.

Office 2007 is laid out in such a way that a new user could sit down and actually begin to work, using the tools that Office provides, without a lot of searching. The ribbons were laid out as they are for that very reason. MS finally dropped the File-Edit-View menu layout for a common sense approach that, I think in time, everyone but the whiners will appreciate.

For the really heavy, power-users (like my wife in Excel), the change to 2007 will be a steeper learning curve than when they moved to previous versions of Office in the past. They were used to the layout as it was before and, like you porsch, could zip around very quickly. At first, it will take a bit longer to zip, but my guess is that they'll like the new layout eventually.

Now, anyone technical in nature may also have a slightly steeper learning curve since we've been engrained with the File-Edit-View menus forever. We could learn to use just about any application that had those menus BECAUSE it had those menus. We could always find stuff. Well, the security blanket was removed and we're right back to square one. In fact, in some cases, the power user may have an easier time of it because their advanced knowledge of some of the Office apps may help them make sense of the new layout before someone like me who uses them when I need to.

I see where you are coming from there tanty.

The most difficult task the other day was when I was making a graph. Usually they have that handy wizard to make graphs and you can add labels etc. But I went to make a histogram and was like wtf?!?!

This graph has no scales or a title and it just gave me it. It took me the best part of 15 minutes to work out how to add labels. In heindsight it made perfect sense how to add the labels, so I guess that's what MS want. A package which makes perfect sense to the new user.

But labels on any graph are fundamental to a graph. I can imagine teachers all over the world wondering what the heck has happened to students when they start handing in reports with graph which aren't labelled properly!

To hell with the students. I say give them a lower grade just for not figuring out to add labels to charts. Their grades should say something about them as a person anyway.