Thread: Can't undo font change

Can't undo font change

I went to help a visually impaired friend to double the font size on his laptop. (Control panel-display-settings - advanced - dpi setting - custom - 200%) and then found out many pages are useless at that setting because you can't get to the bottom of the page. Then I went to undo the changes I had made - and now I can't see the lower part of the page. Is there another way to undo what I did?

This is an older COMPAQ laptop running Windows 2000 NT Pro.

Perhaps I am not understanding the issue correctly, but have you tried simply moving the pages up (i.e., press alt-spacebar, then M, then use arrow keys to move window where you want)?
    FijiJohn

I think you've got it right. But when I hit alt and spacebar I get a little window that says "Move" and " Close". All I can do with the arrow keys is toggle between the two. Progress, but no cigar yet. Thanks for the help.

Ultimate Member
    Can you see the Taskbar at the Bottom of the Screen ?
    You should be able to Right Click on any part of it to
    get to the Desktop Properties ... otherwise Boot into Safe
    Mode and change the resolution back to what it should be

YEP - I can see the task bar, but it doesn't helpl I am tryin safe mode now.

There are lots of options in safe mode. Networking, Command Prompt, Boot Logging, VGA Mode, Last Known Good Config, Directory Services, Debugging, Normal Boot I don't know where to go from here.

On the alt-spacebar menu, simply type M to choose 'move.' (I don't think you have a resolution issue per BruceB, but I'm at a Vista machine right now and cannot check the Custom DPI -200% setting.)
    FijiJohn

It worked once. I rebooted after the change and the fonts came back the same size. I tried the alt-spacebar-M thing again repeatedly and it didn't work this time. I am so frustrated, I could scream.

I just figured out why it didn't make the change. I couldn't see the bottom of the screen where it says APPLY - O.K.. Rookie mistake. Rebooting. Hope the screen will move again. After that, this baby goes out the window. (If it was mine, that's what I would do, anyway.)

It didn't move. I will try again later.

Any more sugggestions? Where do I go inn Safe Mode?

Boot to regular safe mode. (no extra wording)
    Login as the user with the mucked up setting
    Change the font setting in the display control panel like you did when you set it to custom.
    You should be able to save the setting after that.

------------

If that fails, you can boot to safe mode, log in as administrator (unless that is the corrupt user) and rename the profile folder under documents and settings. Reboot the PC and a new profile will be created without the mucked up setting. (ie Log in as Administrator if the corrupt profile is Bob. If Administrator is corrupt then log in a Bob to rename the old profile.) You simply can not be logged in as a user and rename the same profile because it is in use.

You will need to reset up the user profile - move files and favorites etc... to the newly created profile. You will also need to set up the display again - ie wallpaper, colors, screen saver, etc...
    -- Mathias

I didn't realize that I could boot into safe mode without using one of those options. It was really easy once I did that. Thank you thank you thank you. And thanks to everybody who tried to help. I am humbled - and more educated.