Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PC versus new generation consoles

I know Battlefield 2 is available on Xbox, but that doesn't really matter here. The reason I play BF2 on PC is because 64-man servers on this game are EPIC. There's no other way to describe it. The graphics and game play in full battle is just gorgeous.

The same goes for Battlefield 2142, which is a PC exclusive. I love Titan mode, and it is so taxing on a system that you have to have a system which is awesome in order to turn the settings to max and still get high frame rates. However, if you have the computer to run it, the game is worth it.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

The controller is an issue with me. i will never ever put that ahead of PC gaming, regardless of these supposed battle of internal engine wars going on in consoles.

For five hundred bucks or so, i would just upgrade my PC and be plenty happy enough. Shoot, i'm very happy with my rig as it is for gaming. If i had a console i would never ever do anything else and i would guess, nothing would get done. Bad enough i never get enough done as it is.. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

We aren't a bunch of little kids, now are we?

My computer isn't top notch at all, so consoles are a great substitute for the time being. I don't care much at all about the graphics...so I think I'll stay with my ps2 for a while. Once I complete my new system, I'm gonna be done with consoles for a while.

As for the cpu in a ps3 as opposed to the one madpistol mentioned, that is a great point.

I'm gonna say this one more time cause this is the decision maker right here.

If I'm lazy, or don't have much money, I'll go with the console.

If I like the fun of building and/or maintaining a pc, and wouldn't mind having a supercomputer for multitasking, and like the mouse/keyboard setup for playing games, I'll go pc for sure.

Quick note on controllers for pc gaming. Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of gaming on it at all? I mean, if I wanted a controller I'd stick with a console.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

so wait a second... no one has ever just used a keyboard and mouse on a console?
    i have

i think a controller is a poor reason to make your system choice especially when it's subject to change.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

And how pray tell does one use a keyboard and mouse with a console?

In the end a PC is usually better value for money. You can do SO much more with a PC than with a console.

Thats why we have choices in this world.. " Thats a very good thing" LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by tasty danish
    so wait a second... no one has ever just used a keyboard and mouse on a console?
    i have

i think a controller is a poor reason to make your system choice especially when it's subject to change.
    Ok. So Mice and keyboards have been used on consoles before. I know that a keyboard was used on the Dreamcast when it came out. I had lots of fun with that on Phantasy Star Online. Cost me many dear hours of sleep on school nights.

HOWEVER!!!!.... was that mouse and keyboard used to play games, or was it simply a tool used for navigation?

If it was merely navigation, this is where you can draw the line between PC's and consoles. The mouse and keyboard are the primary source of navigation AND gaming on a PC.

I prefer PC gaming personally, but I have lots of friends that like consoles so much more than PC's. PCs are a much more advanced platform than consoles, no matter how you put it. PC's have so many more resources at their disposal that the games that can be created on PC's are virtually limitless. On conosles, however, you are limited by the size of your disk, memory space, and performance capabilities. NONE of those can be upgraded in the currnet generation of consoles. Therin lies your difference.
    Last edited by MadPistol; 03-10-2007 at 01:32 AM.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

i prefer my pc but why do i have a xbox 360 too?

well the answer is easy:

1: there are games which dont come out for pc and which are amazing like gears of war, lost planet, dead rising, call of duty 3 and games which will come like mass effect, HALO 3 etc etc.

so the biggest point why i bought the xbox 360 are the games

2: friends come often around and when you have a pc . . . well, no chance you can play together. with a xbox 360 its easier, i have two controllers, split screen and there you go.

pcs will always look better and do now. but not much imo. gears of war for example is the best looking game i played so far and its for xbox 360. if you see bioshock xbox 360 screens they look nearly as good as the pc screen. so for the next few months there wont be a big difference between xbox vs pc

but games like crysis will never run that good on a xbox 360 or ps3. ill buy that for my PC
    ASUS A8N-E Motherboard : AMD X2 4800+ CPU : 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM : ATI EAX 1950XTX : Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

I for one can not play games on my PC not because it's outdated but because it's a HP computer with no AGP slot to put a nice video card into. Do I want to spend the money to swap it out no , why? it's not worth it when I have a PS2 and a XBOX that can do the same thing as a PC and what's that you ask , PLAY GAMES , that's all neither a PC or a Console do anything different except play games which is what we want them to do to begin with.

pc and consoles play online
    pc and consoles have keyboards and mouse
    pc and consoles may differ in the gaming genre but they still have a unique library of games created for both
    pc and consoles can be hooked up to tv's and vice versa

so what are we really talking about here? which one is better or which one is more powerful? we've been thru this debate 10 fold and every excuse has been mentioned so why are we doing this again? TO EACH HIS OWN whatever the user prefers.
    the prince of all saiyans will not fall again!

Personally from what I have seen from Bioshock it looks allot better than PC version, And I am a PC gamer and I own an Xbox 360 also, its just the best of both worlds, why have one apple when you can have two, its that simple, for now Xbox360 Graphics are better than PC "There I said it" Xbox 360 runs a treble core processor 2 threads per processor running at 3.2Ghz "Sounds like 6 Processors to me at" 90nm soon to be 45nm, custom 512 GPU which runs totally different than PC video card would, which if you want can read more here http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1818127,00.asp I'm sure you have already, either way I love playing on both system's I use my PC for allot of things not just gaming, the point being Xbox360 has one over on the PC "For now anyway" yes the PC will get better graphics than the Xbox360 and pretty soon with the 8800 coming out (Mind you Xbox360's GPU is on par if not a wee bit faster than the 8800 minus the dx10 support), remember the 360 is still very young in its age, games are even starting to look better than GoW did eg: BioShock/Hells Highway etc, GoW was a stunner graphics/gameplat where just out standing prolly some of the best I have seen to date and that game wasn't even treble coded and only used 1 processor "I think dont qoute me on that" it didn't even use %70 of what the xbox can dish out, I think that says allot eh?

This is something I found to in the Alan wake forums: which to me says a whole allot about the raw power the 360 has.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The game will actually spawn five independent threads: one for rendering, audio, streaming, physics and terrain tessellation. The rendering thread is the same as it would be in any game, simply preparing vertices and data to be sent to the GPU for rendering. The audio thread will obviously be used for all audio in the game, although Remedy indicates that it is far from a CPU intensive thread.

The streaming thread will be used to stream data off of the DVD or hard disk as well as decompress the data on the fly. Remedy's goal here is to have a completely seamless transition as you move from one area to the next in Alan Wake's 36 square mile environment, without loading screens/pauses. With Alan Wake being developed simultaneously for both the Xbox 360 and the PC, efficiency is quite high as developing for a console forces a developer to be much more focused than on a PC since you are given limited resources on a console. Markus admitted that being a PC-only developer can easily lead to laziness, and developing for the 360 has improved the efficiency of Alan Wake tremendously. With that said, Markus expects the visual and gameplay experience to be identical on the Xbox 360 and the PC when Alan Wake ships, without any in-game load screens,

Sorry if I went of topic (Had a few pints tonight) early start for paddies day
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Ultimate Member
    what the heck is a treble?

ops spell check screw up triple lol < never trust internet spell check, freckin heck (not the guinness) honest!!!
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

A 'treble' is a furry little creature.., alias 'Star Trek' LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chriswhitelaw
    I for one can not play games on my PC not because it's outdated but because it's a HP computer with no AGP slot to put a nice video card into. Do I want to spend the money to swap it out no , why? it's not worth it when I have a PS2 and a XBOX that can do the same thing as a PC and what's that you ask , PLAY GAMES , that's all neither a PC or a Console do anything different except play games which is what we want them to do to begin with.

pc and consoles play online
    pc and consoles have keyboards and mouse
    pc and consoles may differ in the gaming genre but they still have a unique library of games created for both
    pc and consoles can be hooked up to tv's and vice versa

so what are we really talking about here? which one is better or which one is more powerful? we've been thru this debate 10 fold and every excuse has been mentioned so why are we doing this again? TO EACH HIS OWN whatever the user prefers.

It's a healthy debate so take a chill pill and pipe the heck down.

Your points are daft as well. I could build a very cheap PC that is much better than a PS2 or Xbox. The graphics on those two are pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher
    for now Xbox360 Graphics are better than PC
    This man speaks the truth.

As long as DX9 is the only game code on the market, he is correct.

DX10, however, is supposed to be far superior to the Xbox360 and PS3. We will see about that, but if Crysis is any indication of what DX10 can do, PC gamers are in for a real treat.