Thread: Cali Smog Test

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar

Cali Smog Test

Does anyone know in order to complete a smog test in Cali ........

If it is necessary for the tester to check the timing on a gas motor ?

If so why ?

i don't believe timing is a required check for smog, but bad timing could be the cause for not passing emissions - any reason why you ask the question?
    "Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?" - C. Stoll

Dunno, why you worried about it? ( yeah, I'm nosy, so? )

They only have up to 91 octane in Cali though, so I don't know how much can get away with advancing the timing on their junk.

I know somone that had his car failed because (So he says) the pointer is missing from above the pulley with the timing marks on it ........

I was trying to fing "Chapter & verse" the ins & outs of doing one O' these tests..... I mean where a lil blob rests has little to do with testing smoke ........ Granted if said blob isn't where you'd like it to be may be a indication of high smog...... But that isn't really the point

91 Octane huh ......... Ya could probably drink that stuff We gots 95 as regular .......97 As super ......... & Shell have just marketed a new one thats 99 .......

I think we are being cheated over here Reg is 87 Octane, diesel is 38 - 40.
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

We have 87, 89 and 91. When they smog they put a probe up the tail pipe, and connect a reader to the OBD. That's it. No checking the settings, mechanical etc.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Quote Originally Posted by j.m@talk
    I know somone that had his car failed because (So he says) the pointer is missing from above the pulley with the timing marks on it ........

I was trying to fing "Chapter & verse" the ins & outs of doing one O' these tests..... I mean where a lil blob rests has little to do with testing smoke ........ Granted if said blob isn't where you'd like it to be may be a indication of high smog...... But that isn't really the point

91 Octane huh ......... Ya could probably drink that stuff We gots 95 as regular .......97 As super ......... & Shell have just marketed a new one thats 99 .......
    Our octane is measured on a different scale from just about everybody else. Ours is (RON+MON)/2 and yours is just RON. Since MON tends to be about 10 lower than RON, it works out. Most states have 93, which is comparable to your 98 (I thought 98 was your super...or maybe that's just Germany?).

Either way, I could always go to the track and for $5.50/gallon (expensive to us yanks, just about right to you brits) I can get 98 octane (RON+MON)/2 race gas (and yes, they do have unleaded to be catalytic convertor safe).
    Some Sunoco's used to sell as high as 100, but when they split off their race gas division they got rid of that.

However, the local race shops do have some serious race stuff....116 octane anyone (ok...so that's not for street cars, but the 100 octane is)

(unless otherwise specificed, all octane numbers listed are (RON+MON)/2.)
    Last edited by athlonfan; 02-21-2007 at 06:52 PM.

(I thought 98 was your super...or maybe that's just Germany?)
    €uro regs came in to standardise fuel ........... Gave it minimums of octane