Thread: PC acting strange

PC acting strange

It seems suddenly my computer is locked-down. When I press Ctrl-Alt-Del, it says the administrator disabled Task Manager. When I attempt to load the registry editor, it states that the editor has been restricted by the administrator. I only have one user account, and it is flagged as the administrator. The Microsoft knowledge base gives a fix for this, but I cannot fix it without access to regedit.

Also, when I double-click on desktop icons, it loads the shortcuts properties page. I have to right-click and select open to load programs associated with icons.

These problems appear to be new as of today, so perhaps I have some type of virus. Norton doesn't come up with anything on its virus scan.

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1.0Gig DDR, ATI X850
    MS WinXP Pro
    blah.

You might find a spare copy of REGEDIT in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 which you could copy into the WINDOWS folder.
    Also it looks like you could use the Icon association fix on this page:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    but you definitely have a virus that you have to get rid of at some point.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I smell a bad virus/spyware in the system.

I had one PC last year that regedit was disabled, after I cleaned up the junk on the system, I had to copy regedit from another PC to his and it was fine.

I used Midknyte's link to fix it. Smitrem fixed the icons and Windows Live Safety Center ran all night long. This morning it had found six items that it couldn't identify. Pretty scary, but I told it to delete them anyway.. What do I have to lose?

Windows Task Manager opens now.. Regedit is still blocked.
    blah.

You can also find a fresh copy of regedit in the I386 folder on your installation CD. Copy it to your desktop, rename it to something like regfix.exe before attempting to run it.
    Also download, update and scan with Kaspersky which will allow you to use it free for 30 days before you have to purchase it.
    Once you get your machine cleaned up, you can rename regfix back to regedit and copy it to the WINDOWS folder.