Thread: Large scale document scanning

Large scale document scanning

Does anyone have experience with scanning a lot (thousands) of documents? The MD I work for wants to scan backlogged charts that they are required to keep for X number of years. This is literally thousands of pages. There are companies that offer packages of scanners and software, but is it cheaper/feasible/wise to custom build this operation and go solo, unassisted?

1st, You'll need to check with HIPAA to make sure you're doing it correctly.
    http://www.cms.hhs.gov/HIPAAGenInfo/

Next, evaluate the cost of doing it inhouse (HW+SW+Time+Training+Maintenance and Upkeep) vs. using an approved outsource agency. "This is literally thousands of pages." suggests you may outweigh the inhouse feasability by using an outsourced company. Auditing, Access and Accounting of these documents, files, etc., is going to come into play as well as the legalese involved. Another consideration to factor in is the doctor's insurance underwriters' policy for electronic record keeping.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    When HIPAA comes to play, guess who will pay?

Be prepared to pay $30,000 to $75,000 for the system and tons moe for upgrades, training, etc just to keep the system running each year.

Get a Health Care IT Solution Provider to select and install the system or go the out-sourced route.

Thanks

Hello there,
    I work in an IT company. My company also had thousands of documents on paper. Then we thought of scanning them and keep them safely. We used scan and more to scan documents. I found it better. You can also try it. .
    Thanks