Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new system dead, please help

new system dead, please help

First off, hello to my old Sysopt friends! I used to be a regular here, for many years actually but I've been out of the game for a while and I got a new system for xmas and I need help.

System specs:

mobo - asus p5b deluxe, cpu - c2d e6600 4meg retail, ram - super talent t800 2 x 1 g, psu - ocz 700w 7000 gsxssli, gfx - bfg 8800 gts, cooler - scythe infinity

1. Built this out of the case - it's sitting on a phone book, so no mobo short.

2. Booted up fine so I began following the core duo OC guidelines at Toms Hardware. Yes, there was some minor overvolting - ram 2.15 cpu 2.4, certainly well within range of what is considered safe.

3. Gradually took CPU to 3.75 where it began to lock up running memtest 86. So I took it down to about 3.5 (iirc) and left memtest running for about 45 mins while I went to store.

4. Upon return system was off and now will not boot. When power is turned on all fans spin momentarily(HSF, PSU'GFX), then nothing. The mobo light still comes on whenever psu is attached and PSU is set to on.

OK, here's what I have tried:

1. Reset CMOS
    2. Left CMOS battery out all night
    3. Tried I ram only stick in all slots, tried the other stick.
    4. Rebuilt system. Checked and dbl checked. All power cables hooked to vid card, main, and cpu.
    5. Tested PSU with a cheap PSU testor, only 20 leads, but PSU fires up and testor light is green.
    6. Examined CPU for any damage and none.
    7. Examined MOBO for busted caps and none.
    8. I'm pretty darn sure HSF is making good contact.
    9. Tried old PCI vid card with PCIe out of system

This is my first PCIe system, with the new RAM and all that and I have no parts to switch out!

Ideas?
    Last edited by AlexGee; 12-27-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Yes it sounds like it burned the CPU

that is a good mobo, i have the deluxe version of the same mobo.

what surprises me is that it didn't go into Warning AutoShut off mode? (to protect the CPU from burning)

seems like you went a bit overboard with the OC right off the box, should have tried to run a burn in a NORMAL speed, before doing any OC, and when OC-ing it should always have a person nearby.

Anyways, did you noticed any burn or electrical (smoke) smell? after you came back from the store???

The Mobo goes back to normal if it was just an over the board OC problem, i tried it and after i pushed it too far it went dark, all i had to do was turn it off, turn it back on, then turn it back off again, and it worked

in the worse case scenario that I had, was only to Clear the BIOS jumper reset, and it worked right away after that.

So try that if you have not done so yet, i know you took off the battery, but this mobo has 2 BIOS, the Regular BIOS and the BACKUP bios, so the wrong settings might still be on any of those BIOS, and taking out the battery might not do the trick.

if after Reseting with the Jumper and your CPU still doesn't boot up, i'll ask for a friend or anyone to lend you any Core Duo CPU and see if you can boot the mobo up, if it does, then it's safe to assume you "over cooked" your brand new CPU
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Maybe fried CPU?

I stopped overclocking back when the 300MHz Celerons were out. It was woth it then but not significant anymore.

Hey there AG! Thanks for respone.

ETA: and u2 sterling

yea, i tried the CMOS jumper - no help

So you think I cooked my c2, ouch! No visible burn marks. I got no friends with c2d's. I guess I could buy a chip locally at COMP USA and then return it, he, he. Any other ideas?

With no burn marks I suppose my chip is RMAable at a very popular web store, you think?

Why u guys so sure the mobo is not the culprit?
    Last edited by AlexGee; 12-27-2006 at 12:49 PM.

and how about PSU? It did test ok with the testor but is that fool proof?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGee
    and how about PSU? It did test ok with the testor but is that fool proof?
    It could be a PSU, but i highly doubt it to be the case this time

if you have another PSU, you can easily hook it up and test it to find out.

or vice versa, if you have another old rig, plug this PSU that we think has a problem, and see if the PSU can work properly with the old rig.

if that works... well i guess that still points back to the Cooked CPU

re: CPU **cough** **cough** idea...
    i dunno you can try, they might be able to trace it back by the S/N# on the CPU Die, and the remains of the HSF compound, unless you can clean it up very good.

it's technically brand new.... so erh.. hmm... ahh... you can always "claim" it to be a DOA
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Quote Originally Posted by AllGamer
    It could be a PSU, but i highly doubt it to be the case this time

if you have another PSU, you can easily hook it up and test it to find out.

or vice versa, if you have another old rig, plug this PSU that we think has a problem, and see if the PSU can work properly with the old rig.

if that works... well i guess that still points back to the Cooked CPU

re: CPU **cough** **cough** idea...
    i dunno you can try, they might be able to trace it back by the S/N# on the CPU Die, and the remains of the HSF compound, unless you can clean it up very good.

it's technically brand new.... so erh.. hmm... ahh... you can always "claim" it to be a DOA

Thanks. PSU is ok I think, it botted my Mom's old PC just fine and it tested good.

So, DOA, yea. Anyway it's RMA CPU or MOBO. Any other votes for MOBO?

Ultimate Member
    As AllGamer said, it looks like it is the CPU at fault
    When you install your new one, be very sure of the
    amount of Artic5 compound, and be absolutely certain
    that the FAN / HEATSINK is Fully Seated and all 4
    clips are properly fastened down

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb
    As AllGamer said, it looks like it is the CPU at fault
    When you install your new one, be very sure of the
    amount of Artic5 compound, and be absolutely certain
    that the FAN / HEATSINK is Fully Seated and all 4
    clips are properly fastened down
    Yes, may still be CPU but I'm betting MOBO. I'ts already RMA and on the way.

There is new info:

I took out all the components and powered MOBO by itself and it started smoking.
    So I'm thinking either MOBO was fried earlier or fried then but either way it's dead if it was smoking. LOL. So it's going back first.

I just don't know. I used to be good at this stuff but I've got ADD and I get impulsive when I build my own systems

The guys over at extreme systems think it's prolly mobo and you guys think CPU. I'll let you know. Thanks all and good to be back at sysopt.

I've been coming here for many years. I first learned of the FPU deficiency of the original AMD K6 here, prolly back in 97 I guess - after I had bought one of course and could barely play GL Quake and wondered why!

Best regards.
    Last edited by AlexGee; 12-27-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Well... IF you got lucky then the CPU might still be Alive, and your crazy OC overboard might have only flied the Mobo... which usually is strange, but in this case it can happen, since this Mobo does allows you to go Crazy on the Voltage for just about every single OC-able piece (RAM, CPU, etc..)

so i guess you gave too much juice to some of those and it smoked it.

With any luck the CPU burn out protection should have kicked in and shut off the machine before the CPU got cooked.

Good news. CPU fine. Swallowed my technician's pride and checked it at a computer store. Actually, in my experience it's usually the mobo in these cases - those CPUs are tough customers.

I didn't overvolt anything much, just a tweak to the RAM and CPU. I'm beginning to think the MOBO may simply have been defective and I was looking for a reason to blame myself. However, next time I'm gonna go real slow with the OC.

Nice chatting with you AG and thanks for your help!

See ya soon I hope.
    Last edited by AlexGee; 12-27-2006 at 06:10 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Now the question is what caused the mobo to "go up in smoke"
    Was it just a factory defect, something you did inadveratnly or a
    bad power supply ? ?

You do not want to burn out the new mobo when it shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb
    Now the question is what caused the mobo to "go up in smoke"
    Was it just a factory defect, something you did inadveratnly or a
    bad power supply ? ?

You do not want to burn out the new mobo when it shows up.
    Indeed! I'm just going to go slow as hell and right by the book. I had the mobo sitting a phone book so maybe there wasn't enough circulation under it. I don't know what else to try. The PSU worked in another PC so I kinda trust it.

You could put it on cardboard after u install everything. then use the stand offs to pick it up off the cardboard,that should give it plenty off circulation.

just a suggestion

FYI:

this is one rare mobo, it aint your typical mobo.

the Asus P5B series DISSIPACES CPU/CHIPSET heat through the entire mobo.

so the MOBO needs to be AIR fanned to be cooled down.

it clearly says so in the manual, and that is one of their "marketing" themes