Thread: Trying to clean up my computer.....

Trying to clean up my computer.....

......and I've got a ton of questions. Ready

1) I use AVG Virus. In "Add or Remove Programs" I have iPod for Windows 2006-10-10 with the AVG symbol before it (and it's 97.00MB). A couple of lines down there's iPod for Windows 2005-09-23 with the iPod symbol next to it (62.80MB). Do I need both?

2) In "Add or Remove Programs", I have Canon Photorecord (36.75MB). I know what it is (program for editing digital pics), but I barely use it. If I delete it, am I able use another similar (and most likely smaller) program that I can dl on-line for free (Picasa)? Also, will my computer still be able to read my Canon digital camera?

3) Same question as #2, only it's Canon Powershot G3 WIA Driver (2.27MB). The Powershot G3 is still the camera I use.

4) How about Dell Digital Jukebox Driver (1.51MB)? I don't even know what this is?

5) K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.51 (2.02MB). I used to use Kazaa-Lite before I found out it was illegal and removed it. Do I still need the codecs in here to play other media?

6) I have Norton Spyware Scan provided by Yahoo (15.34MB). I obviously got this thru Yahoo which is my primary email service. However, I can't find it anywhere. Before I upgraded to IE7 it was in my toolbar and I was able to run scans thru that. Any idea on how I can get it back? I did a "Search" but only found the files, not the launch icon. ALSO, if I'm using AVG do I even need it?

1. No - remove the older one.

2. Remove it.

3. Keep that.

4. Remove it.

5. Remove.

6. You don't need either. Search for and install Windows Defender. It's free. You may be able to get the Norton Toolbar back in View > Toolbars.
    MS MCP, MCSE

1) Done
    2) Done
    3) Kept
    4) Tried but got a pop-up that reads "Could not open INSTALL.LOG. file". What is this and how do I get around it?
    5) Said something about how it would uninstall Quicktime (I was using the Quicktime Alternative in the codec pack and it said the two were linked). What should I do?
    6) Doesn't Yahoo use Norton AntiVirus as the sole program to scan incoming email attachments? Won't I be "naked" without it? Also, I checked my programs and I apparently already have Windows Defender. Do I have to turn it on or anything?

Man.

Leave the Dell Jukebox driver. It's not worth the trouble.

Reinstall Quicktime after removing K-Lite. It probably needs updating anyway.

If all you have for protection is a Yahoo-supplied utility, you are still naked. How is a browser-based tool going to protect you from Kazaa for instance? It can't protect that, e-mail programs or from network worms. You need a real AV program. Search for AVG Free and install it. If you can spare a few bucks, buy Kaspersky.

If you have Defender, it's working. Open it and check it's status. If there are no warnings, all is fine.
    MS MCP, MCSE