Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You would have to be nuts to buy Vista

Wow... yay for vista... (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

Quote Originally Posted by zepper
    I won't be buying Vista either. If I have to do Win at all, I'll stick with my Win 2k. America is about freedom - Micro$oft is not...

.bh.

fowar!

Hmmm. I would not put it past them to create another version for people like us. For some it is a need to be able to swap hardware out almost on a daily basis, although very few.

I won't be buying Vista either. If I have to do Win at all, I'll stick with my Win 2k. America is about freedom - Micro$oft is not...

.bh.
    What are you on about? Microsoft is a corporation, and it does what any other corporation does, make money (or at least attempt to). I mean, that's why it was started in the first place, no?

Having that said, I still think this sounds pretty unreasonable to me.
    I don't think Microsoft will see much gain from this 'solution'.
    Pirates will sill get off scott free, whilst honest customers are going to be burned for having to buy ANOTHER copy. Pirates will just re-pirate the software if they have to. That's what really gets me.

Anyways, I'm outta time and I'll have to read the EULA later.
    Cheers.

In the other forum thread that I'm following it has been stated that M$ has already announced that it will end support for XP Home sometime in 2008, 3yrs! So I would guess W2K will be sooner and in that case by then I will have 3 M$ OS that will be useless and be FORCED to spend once again.
    What would it be like if the auto makers came out and said, We have just released a new model and will no longer support your old model and you will have to UPGRADE. Or on a closer note if the chip makers, VIA or nVidea did the same thing.

Now with all the system info they will be collecting just what will constitute a move to a new system? A MB replacement, CPU, HDD, video card or something as small as a memory upgrade?
    I suppose this will be fine for those that install it and never change anything but from what I've seen here in this forum the vast majority of members are gamers and upgrade they're systems faster than I buy new shoes. So what, are they going to have to buy a new copy of Vista every other time they upgrade MBs/CPU and if that's the case whats that going to do to the hardware makers?

Well I for one do not game and have already d/l 2 different copies of Linux and my upgrade to a new OS will be in that direction. I have other needs for my money than to lease an OS from anyone and be forced to upgrade at their will.

Right now, you can't change the mobo under an OEM copy of Win XP w/o having to cough up for a new license unless you know how to diddle the hardware info it keeps. I'm sure Vista will be worse yet.

Download a copy of EULALyzer to see what your EULAs actually mean in clear-speak.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4759

..bh.
    Last edited by zepper; 10-21-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    ----------
    He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Solve your voting dilemmas: Find out which candidate is supported by the Trial Lawyers, and then choose one of his/her opponents - effective in avoiding the worst slimeball.

Right now, you can't change the mobo under an OEM copy of Win XP w/o having to cough up for a new license unless you know how to diddle the hardware info it keeps. I'm sure Vista will be worse yet.
    Wrong!

Example: Customer comes into shop with a custom built tower, OEM keycode sticker on the side............MBD has blown caps......install new board, backup data, format/reinstall or repair install.....click on the activation key & activate by phone.....give the M$ rep the first 6 digits of the installation ID....they will verify some info.......then they give you the confirmation code......type it in, click finish and you are done. Simple.

I even take Dell, HP etc. keycodes off older towers that are toast......build the customer a sweet new custom build using their existing keycode......I point blank tell the MS reps that the Dell has now been retired due to hardware failure......As long as the code is being used on only one system they don't care. They verify the key and activate it for me............Piece of cake.

XP also restricts the number of devices you install before it gives the "blue screen of death" but all you have to do is a restore install, will Vista allow the same?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Billforce
    XP also restricts the number of devices you install before it gives the "blue screen of death" but all you have to do is a restore install, will Vista allow the same?
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._licensing.asp

It's the next group of delusional paranoids clutching to Win98 se in the dark. "well it works for me....blue has even become my favorite color"
    Most people think,
    Great God will come from the skies,
    Take away everything
    And make everybody feel high.
    But if you know what life is worth,
    You will look for yours on earth:
    And now you see the light,
    You stand up for your rights. jah!

Quote Originally Posted by bushmaster
    It's the next group of delusional paranoids clutching to Win98 se in the dark. "well it works for me....blue has even become my favorite color"
    I think practical is a better description than delusional. Win98 was a POS as was XP until the first major service pack (or edition in the case of 98). Let the early adopters pay the price with security holes and instability and uncompatibility. My present hardware does what I need. Why would I want to obsolete it for the sake of a new OS. When I need new functionality I'll update both the OS and the hardware. Until then, I'll use what does what I need. pffftttt!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bonz_dragon
    So what, are they going to have to buy a new copy of Vista every other time they upgrade MBs/CPU and if that's the case whats that going to do to the hardware makers?
    Your whole post was well put, and this question in particular is especially interesting.

What will it do to the hardware makers?

another post about activation

Well That sounds better, but I have a issue with 64 bit Vista, not being mainstream. I have a 64 bit computer, if I wanted to stay in the 32 bit world, there was / is nothing wrong with my Abit and EPoX socket A boards that a 7800 series AGP card won't cure.

My two "Daily Drivers" are both A64. I run the single core on XP home, and the Dual core on XP Pro X64. I have been using the X64 system for about one year. Drivers are better now and I have few issues, but I have ran Vista RC2 build 5744 on that same machine and vista doesn't like my ASRock 939 Dual Sata-2 Motherboard. I will swap to a 939 dual VSTA board this weekend, but so far I am unimpressed with Vista 64
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Ultimate Member
    Even if microsoft were to be its super stingy self with every released version of Vista, there will still be people out there who'll work their way around said features and serve up Vista to those thieving types amongst us who refuse to pay for their OS and dont expect it to hamper their usage in any way.

Just look at Windows XP, everyone was getting their knickers in a right bunch over the idea of Activating an OS, yet a full month before public release people were happily using the Enterprise version of XP which allowed them to negate Activation and the supposed horrors it held.

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]