Thread: Wireless Broadband?

Wireless Broadband?

I am moving into a city next month and was planning on getting broadband. The problem is that there is no phone line in this place and I am only renting.

I am a big fan of online gaming and was thinking of getting wireless broadband. Is it a good choice for gaming? I have heard in the past that wireless broadband isn't exactley good for gaming, wheter or not this is true, I don't know.....

Also, seeing as I am renting and don't actually own the flat I am staying in, is there usually a gigantic satelitte dish, wireless box or something along those lines, cause I wouldn't say that would go down well with a landlord!

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by IbramGaunt; 08-30-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IbramGaunt
    I am a big fan of online gaming and was thinking of getting wireless broadband. Is it a good choice for gaming? I have heard in the past that wireless broadband isn't exactley good for gaming, wheter or not this is true, I don't know.....
    Yap, the info is correct. Wireless Broadband might introduce a lag. Pings are higher, and it reacts to bad weather.

It would Not affect too much regular surfing, but would negatively affect Gaming.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Verizon wireless broadband is not much better than a standard modem. The speeds are TERRIBLE.

Well for what reason is it laggy? And how laggy would it be?

The one I was looking at was 2mb and a contention ratio of 24:1.

How laggy would a game be? Currentley I have a 56k modem, and I'm sure it would be a massive improvement on that.... right?

Yes it would be an improvement, but it should be for the extra cost.

DSL or cable would be the fastest and most cost effective even when you rent.

Well there is no phone connection in the place I'm staying, so that is a big problem. I've always wanted broadband and I guess this will have to do for the time being....

DSL uses phone point, Cable uses ...errr ...cable.

The cable is called coaxial. RG54 or RG58 (I think RG54 was for token ring thin coax and RG58 is std. TV cabe).

I wouldn't bother with broadband via sattelite, my mother had it installed in the far reaches of Northumberland, where she's to far away from the telephone exchange to get broadband. The connection was very slow (when there was one), the weather was constantly disrupting it, and the modem and backup modem (bit of an omen there) inside the house frequently packed up. Its also comparatively more expensive.
    Its probably great if you live in the desert where theres no clouds,storms, birds, aeroplanes and if its the only connetion available, it would probably also help if you are one of the isps engineers so that when it breaks or needs adjsuting because the wind has knocked off kilter you can fix it.

We just moved out to the back woods of Indiana, and now have satellite broadband. So far it's been pretty decent. I notice a slight "lag", but for the most part it seems comparable to the cable broadband we used to have. We pay about $60USD a month. Cable and DSL aren't an option for us, and dial-up...well, dial-up is DIAL-UP, for crying out loud. I can't say I'd recommend satellite for gaming, because I don't do too much gaming these days (read: 2 young kids).

So far we haven't had any issues with storms/clouds knocking out the signal, but I'm certain it will happen sooner or later. We'll see.