Thread: Odd PS2 KB & mouse issue

Odd PS2 KB & mouse issue

Suddenly, a computer that was working fine (just after complete re-install) will not work with a PS2 KB & mouse plugged in. I can use a PS2 KB with a USB mouse but plugging in a PS2 mouse results in a glacially slow (15-20) minute POST and boot. The KB wil still work but only accepts ONE key press every 5-15 minutes. The PS2 mouse stays frozen at all time. Suggestions?
    FijiJohn

Replace the PS2 mouse and see if it still happens. I had a Dell pc freeze on post when a mouse was plugged in. Turned out the mouse was bad.
    -- Mathias

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Check the BIOS settings.

I agree to replace both the mouse and keyboard to verify they are working.

Nothing obvious in BIOS. And this did just happen suddenly, from one boot to another. (Also tried clearing CMOS and resetting it.) The KB & mouse work fine on other boxes and substitute KBs and mice have same problem on this box. Odd eh?
    FijiJohn

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    It could be an ancient Fijian ghost inhabiting your computer case.

Did you try to change the "Typematic Rate" in BIOS? Try to bump it up to a higher setting like 24 key/sec or something.

Or you can try going into windows, and then search for the mouse properties under Device Manager, and increase the number (forgot what the name of the setting was, wheel input or something?) from 100/sec to 200/sec.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Comage
    Did you try to change the "Typematic Rate" in BIOS? Try to bump it up to a higher setting like 24 key/sec or something.

Or you can try going into windows, and then search for the mouse properties under Device Manager, and increase the number (forgot what the name of the setting was, wheel input or something?) from 100/sec to 200/sec.

Hope it helps.
    Well, as long as we use a USB mouse the PS2 keyboard works perfectly and the repeat rate is fine. I'll try tinkering with the the mouse settings but thr problem manifests itself as a glacially slow POST (whe nusing PS2 mouse) before the OS gets involved.
    FijiJohn

What happens with a USB mouse on a USB --> PS2 adapter? If that's hosed than I think you have something going on with the PS2 port.

Anything plugged into the PS2 mouse connector causes problems - even if it is the same USB mouse with a USB-PS2 adapter. I agree that the port seems to be the problem. However, I have never seen these symptoms before. Complete failure yes, but not this.
    FijiJohn

what peripherals are installed . could it be some card is Conflicting due to its IRQ being set the same as the PS2 port.

Ultimate Member
    It sounds to me like it is one of two causes:

Corrupted MoBo Drivers for the PS2 port

Defective PS2 port (possible power surge damage)

First thing I would try, is possibly the latest BIOS
    and then if still flaky, reload the mobo chipset drivers

No peripherals are installed. It might be a corrupted driver but this is on a high quality UPS (with a bunch of other machines) so it is not a power surge.
    FijiJohn