Thread: Can It Be Done?

Can It Be Done?

I 'm wanting to overclock my system. I have easily overclocked my video card. I went into my system bios, and the info for the processor and memory won't let me access them. So i'm wondering if my bios won't let me into it, or if my motherboard won't. I have a Microstar motherboard, and the bios is Pheonix. Is there anyway for me to access these?

P4 540 @ 3.2ghz
    1.5 Gig PC3200
    Evga Geforce 6800 GS @ 500/1300
    200 Gig HD.

What is the model of the motherboard?

MS-7046 ver 1

My PC3200 is only being run at 333mhz. Which is driving me crazy! I'm loosing almost 20% performance. Even more if I factor in the overclockablity of the Ballistix RAM, which is why I bought it.

It'd be awesome if you found anything out. Microstar won't talk to me. and Medion (who built the computer) is being no help. They want to charge me $30 to talk to me. F@#$ *******s!

MS-7046 is OEM board provided to Medion. Most MSI retail boards have names like 915P Neo2. MSI wouldn't support the board directly if it is an OEM board through Medion. Most OEM boards are bios-crippled.

How did you get 1.5G? if you are mixing DDR400 and DDR333 dimms, then the board will set itself to the LOWER of the two.

I did purchase the Medion, it came with 2x256, and it is PC3200. I ran a diagnostic scan which said that it is, and the stickers on the chips do too :-). Then I purchased 2x512 Crucial Ballistix PC3200. So all 4 chips are PC3200. The only thing I can think of is maybe it clocks down to 333 because I have 4 sticks installed.

Yeah, Microstar did tell me it was an OEM and they couldn't help me, and Medion wants to charge me $30. I just want my RAM to run at the proper speed nevermind overclocking. I think i'm eventually going to buy a new mobo, and go toward AMD.

How hard is it to swap out a mobo and cpu? as long as I get a mobo that is compatible w/ all my other equipment it shouldn't be a real hard thing to do would it?

I'm not sure how much experience you have, so I wouldn't tell you that it's easy to replace a MB.

A64s will probably downclock to 333 if you have 4 dimms. This is due to the ondie memory controller. I haven't seen that issue with Intels.

did you try manually specifying DDR400 in the bios?

did you try the 2 512MB sticks by themselves?

I don't have a lot of experience, i've just started working on my computer for a little over a year. But I used to do a lot of work on A/V equipment, car stereos, etc. So I understood a bit about it already.

I haven't tried just using just the 2 sticks yet.

The bios is locked in the memory and cpu frequency categories. It's a pretty limited bios. which is why i'd like to get a new mobo, plus I want to SLI at some point in the future.

MS-7046

Hey there! I have the same board MSI MS-7046 OEM board, I am searching for the full manual, do you have a copy that you can send to me? I would appreciate it very much.

You saying that the PC3200 memory is running at lower speed on that board? or cos of your configuration?

I have not been able to find a full manual. I don't think that there is one to be found. Microstar does not support it because it is an OEM. What I did find is a spec sheet outlining what it is. I took it home so I don't have it w/ me hear at work. but the board is a LGA 775 Socket, w/ the 915P chipset. The DIMM is supposed to run at 333/400, however, my CMOS shows my sticks of PC3200 running at 333. I even tried running just the 2 Crucial sticks, and it didn't change anything.

It's not a bad board, but it's driving me crazy not getting the full power out of it. I think i'm just going to upgrade to a new mobo. The P4 540 is a really good chip, good enough to not need to upgrade for my gaming purposes. The other mobo's for the LGA 775 P4 are mostly running DDR2, which seems to be running about the same price, sometimes lower than the PC3200. I'm about to say screw it, buy the new mobo and a gig of DDR2, that would solve my underclocking problem.

Did you buy the Medion 5200 M3 Composer also? I got mine for $500, it was a frig'in steal. It's been real easy to upgrade, and very stable. I've just outgrown the mobo and it's capabilities.

medion pc motherboard driver

i have a full manual on the medion ms 7046 and am looking for the driver disk for the medion pc if you have it or just the drivers my email is harris_597@hotmail.com if you want the manual could you email me or send me the drivers for the medion ms-7046 motherboard thanks bill