Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer wont run games

Computer wont run games

Hi, My computer won't run games such as World of Warcraft or Titan Quest, basically any game that uses a lot of system resources. When I try to run either game, the computer starts making clicking/crunching sounds and revving sounds. It does this for about 5-10 seconds and then the computer locks up and I have to reset it. It has been doing this for the last 2-3 weeks and progressivly getting worse.

I've taken the panels off my computer to try and listen where the sounds are coming from, it seems like they are coming from the HD. So I ran Spinrite and that found no bad sectors and all sectors were accessible/readable. I've also defragged, ran ccleaner, avast, ad-aware, spybot. I've checked the fan on the Video Card to see if that was running and it is. All the fans are working properly.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help!

System Specs:
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    System Model: A7N8X-X NVIDIA nForce2
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 256MB used, 2204MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
    Card name: RADEON 9800 PRO (Omega 3.8.252)
    Chip type: RADEON 9800 PRO AGP (0x4E48)
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Soundcard: SB Live! Audio [C400]

Welcome to SysOpt!

It "sounds" like a hard drive issue to me (no pun intended ).

Isn't Spinrite a data recovery program? What I'd do is download a diagnostic program from the website of your hard drive manufacturer, it can tell you whether or not the drive is on the fritz.

Hello gamergrrl,

And echo the welcome.

In addition to the possibility of a HD issue, sometimes a "revving" sound from the drive is associated with a power supply issue.

MS purchased the license for the original SpinRite and it became Defrag. What version do you have? It's been said that some versions don't accurately identify and fix bad sectors with NT, Win2K and XP.

Agree with the recommendation to run diagnistics from your hard drive manufacturer.

MJCfromCT: I think data recovery is only part of the newer SpinRite utility suites.

John B.

Quote Originally Posted by MJCfromCT
    Welcome to SysOpt!

It "sounds" like a hard drive issue to me (no pun intended ).

Isn't Spinrite a data recovery program? What I'd do is download a diagnostic program from the website of your hard drive manufacturer, it can tell you whether or not the drive is on the fritz.
    I went to Western Digital's site and downloaded their Diagnostic program and ran the quick test and extended test. The results were both good. Both said I passed.

Quote Originally Posted by millwork
    Hello gamergrrl,

And echo the welcome.

In addition to the possibility of a HD issue, sometimes a "revving" sound from the drive is associated with a power supply issue.

MS purchased the license for the original SpinRite and it became Defrag. What version do you have? It's been said that some versions don't accurately identify and fix bad sectors with NT, Win2K and XP.

Agree with the recommendation to run diagnistics from your hard drive manufacturer.

MJCfromCT: I think data recovery is only part of the newer SpinRite utility suites.

John B.

The version of Spinrite I used was 6.0 Release 1.

As for the power supply, is their a way I can find out?

gamergrrl-

From the partial list of your system specs, it is clear that you should have at least a 350-watt rated power supply as a minimum. When running games that would make all the attached hardware to run at full capacity, the power supply is a critical piece of hardware since having an underpowered system would show similar symptoms like you're experiencing now.

Have you tried removing one or two of the peripheral cards to see if it would run steadily or not? If it works when one or more component is removed, then it is an inadequate power supply and is in need of changing. Good luck!

LPTECH

I have an Antec 550 watt power supply. It's about 2-3 years old.

Edit: I just completely turned off my computer to look at something, decided to remove the old 56k modem card I had in there since its un-used anyway. Turned the computer back on and after loading the windows splash screen, my computer made the same noises it does when I try to run wow and froze. I hit reset and it started up fine. I don't think removing the card caused the problem. But I do keep my computer always on, very rarely shutting it down completely. So I am guessing turning it off did something.
    Last edited by gamergrrl; 07-04-2006 at 03:44 PM.

gamergrrl-

Clean up the insides of the system and the power supply since it might be overheating due to impeded airflow caused by dirt and dustbunnies inside. Also, make sure that the cables and other wiring are not in the path of the internal airflow.

LPTECH

Those darn dust bunnies I tell ya. Going out to get a can of air. Thanks again! Hopefully this will work

Quote Originally Posted by gamergrrl
    The version of Spinrite I used was 6.0 Release 1.

As for the power supply, is their a way I can find out?
    Hello gamergrrl,

That version of SpinRite is fine and is reported as doing a good job of fixing bad sectors.

Agree with lptech's suggestions and after a good cleaning, if you still experience the problems, might think about a new PS. Your's may be good, but if the computer is on 24/7 for 2 to 3 years, it's served you pretty good.

It could still be the HD, but you've checked it out pretty thoroughly.

John B.

Well good to know that the HD probably isn't the problem. Unfortunately all the stores around here that would sell cans of air are closed for the holiday.

I've got a comp with a HDD that passes all the tests but I still get intermittent noises so I'm playing it safe, cloning it frequently and plan to replace the drive and the PSU soon just to play it safe.

And even though I doubt it's the problem that 9800 card always caused me problems when I used 'em in 3 computers for my gamer kids. If you've got the budget you'd be happier with another card if you're a serious gamer.....

Well I cleared out all the dust bunnies but the same thing is still happening. The moment I start warcraft or titan quest, the 'revving', 'powering-up' sound goes off and then it freezes. I don't have the budget at all right now to start replacing things left and right. I wish there was a better way to nail down exactly what the problem was

gamergrrl-

Have you tried a different power supply to see if that would alleviate the problem? It sounds like it might be a faltering PSU or inadequate cooling on the CPU. Please look into those two possibilities!

LPTECH

gamergrrl-

Try using a table fan with the case open and having a cool stream of air blowing into the case! Give that a try also.

LPTECH