Thread: Which graphics card is suitable for my com?

Which graphics card is suitable for my com?

my graphics card suck >> S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    any recommend?

Number of CPUs 1

Name Intel Pentium 4
    Code Name Northwood
    Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Family / Model / Stepping F 2 9
    Extended Family / Model 0 0
    Brand ID 9
    Package mPGA-478
    Core Stepping D1
    Technology 0.13 um
    Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
    CPU Clock Speed 2877.1 MHz
    Clock multiplier x 21.0
    Front Side Bus Frequency 137.0 MHz
    Bus Speed 548.0 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Trace Cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
    L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 2877.1 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
    Motherboard manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    Motherboard model P4M266-8233,
    BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    BIOS revision 6.00 PG
    BIOS release date 06/18/2004
    Chipset VIA P4M266 (VT8751) rev. 00
    Southbridge VIA VT8235 rev. 00
    Sensor chip Winbond W83697HF

Graphic Interface AGP
    AGP Status enabled, rev. 2.0
    AGP Data Transfer Rate 4x
    AGP Max Rate 4x
    AGP Side Band Addressing not supported, not enabled

Memory
    DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
    DRAM Size 256 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency 137.0 MHz
    FSBRAM 1:1
    DRAM Interleave 4-way
    CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 2 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks
    # of memory modules 1
    Module 0 Kingston DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes

Software
    Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
    DirectX version 9.0c

Does your motherboard even have an AGP SLOT?

Yes, the chipset supports AGP, yes the onboard graphics sits on an AGP connection, but a lot of cheap boards simply had the SLOT missing. In fact, I've seen MANY bottom-grade ****-poor dirt-cheap trash boards like yours come from the factory with a bunch of solder spots where the AGP slot "would have been".

If it has an AGP slot, I'd consider something midrange like the 6600GT AGP.

You could pick up an X800GTO for pretty cheap. Link

First, do what Crashman says, and make sure you have a physical AGP slot before spending any money. Open the case and look. Then you can go check for a video card. Presonally I would not get more than a 6600GT for that, if I would even go that high. Given that you only have 256MB of RAM anything over an FX5200 would be overkill until you get more RAM. Even so this is not going to be a high end gaming machine, but with a mid-range card like a 6600 vanilla and another 256MB of RAM minimum it could be a reasonable system for light gaming duty on older games.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Keep th Faith

With the info you show, you have the agp slot. Any of the cards mentioned would be great, but if all about cash, get the 6600gt, if you want more get the X1600pro and with any of these cards get a better after market vga cooling solution for best results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugor
    First, do what Crashman says, and make sure you have a physical AGP slot before spending any money. Open the case and look. Then you can go check for a video card. Presonally I would not get more than a 6600GT for that, if I would even go that high. Given that you only have 256MB of RAM anything over an FX5200 would be overkill until you get more RAM. Even so this is not going to be a high end gaming machine, but with a mid-range card like a 6600 vanilla and another 256MB of RAM minimum it could be a reasonable system for light gaming duty on older games.

Whats been going on Rugor !!! As an end to my current system upgrades, before considering CrossFire/Conroe, the X1600pro with the Zalman vga cooler has given my system new lighting and thunder. the Celeron D 2.8ghz and DDR 400 end the cycle and its been fun. Playing Battlefield2 at 50 fps and better with overclocks. Expect to hit more than 14,000 3dmark 03 points, before all the smoke clears, try that with the 9800XT, and get the same Image Quality.

The Nvidia 6600gt is the best "Bang for the Buck" .....

Quote Originally Posted by tcom50
    With the info you show, you have the agp slot.
    What makes you so sure? I've had dozens of boards with the slot missing, all using onboard AGP graphics. Have you considered he probably has a low-end pre-built system, and those guys will kill any hopes of upgradeability to save a dollar?

my graphics card suck >> S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    any recommend?
    I looked up the Motherboard on the MSI website and it does (Should) have an AGP Slot unless somebody took it off the board. (Doubtful).

Open the Case to make sure though.

MSI

I stand convicted.

I GOOGLED the motherboard data that was displayed and made a controlled judgement, Perhaps Iam wrong, yet with the before mentioned advice of checking first I assumed it would be done. It would be an excellent upgrade because of the instant gratification. Now of late I back off supprtting Ati X1000 cards that have stock cooling, because its so terrible. I "Had" to install the Zalman VF 700 vga cooler to keep temps close to normal during extended game play or bench marking. Stock vga cooling solutions fit poorly and do not seat properly.
    If you get a deal, get extra cooling, even a dual pci fan set up. Stock 500mhz core speeds require serious cooling. ASUS or Gigabyte offer the X1600pro with serious cooling solutions, the stock Ati set up is a toy. An overheated card overheats your entire system. I would see the need for serious cooling on any of these new high end cards, look before you leap, and just be ready, in case you need a little extra cooling......

I just don't trust the readings because I personally have had two boards that used the same BIOS, where one had the slot and the other had an empty spot where the slot should have gone.

PROPRITARY HARDWARE

Yes indeed, Dell, HP, and Compaq from time to time have all been guilty of this misrepresentation in the past, and with all of the new hardware systems comming out soon it will happen again. Cant wait to see some one at Comp USA asking why this PCI graphics card wont fit into the PCI slot.???

Quote Originally Posted by tcom50
    Cant wait to see some one at Comp USA asking why this PCI graphics card wont fit into the PCI slot.???
    Heh, the guy at CompUSA will tell him it's PCI-X, then the guy will come in here asking about server/workstation boards.