Thread: Mobo Replacement

Mobo Replacement

I am replacing a dead motherboard in a emachines model t2542 with an imperial GV motherboard. It has an intel 845GV chipset. System includes 2 PC2100 ram, 2.5 ghz celeron processor. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good replacement for this board so I can keep old hardware, ram, processor, etc. Board should have onboard video and sound. Please advise. Thanks.

All the Emachines I've replaced the motherboards on can take a standard mATX motherboard . For your model you will need a socket 478 motherboard that supports P4 Celeron 400 mhz fsb processors , if your using the same cpu . A good choice would be upgrading to a 865GV , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131504
    You could always shop Ebay for another T2542 or 845GV mobo ...

The biggest hurdle will be XP . The Emachines restore CD is just an image , not a standard Windows XP CD . If you don't replace the motherboard with the exact same board , the restore image is useless. If you change the board to something different , such as a better chipset , its possible XP will except it and install the new hardware , but its a gamble you won't have issues. So, a new fresh install of XP is the way to go. What this means is you will need to buy a OEM copy of XP Home as well as another motherboard .

On another note , every Emachine I've replace the mobo on was due to a bad power supply , and not every component survived . Before you decide to replace the mainboard , tshoot all the components to be sure the system is worth saving . You may opt for a new pc.

t2542 restore CD

Hi Saintj,
    I can't find my emachine t2542 Restore CD's. Could you make me a copy of yours? Thank You. My email is jive_2katyahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    Hi Saintj,
    I can't find my emachine t2542 Restore CD's. Could you make me a copy of yours? Thank You. My email is jive_2katyahoo.com
    JB - welcome to sysopt. try to avoid these kinds of requests - I'm sure it's your comp and it's all messed up - most EMachines are dead by now but if possible rather than drop in on the thread use PM or another way to get those CDs - they are available elsewhere. Thanks.

Thanks for your post Rocketmech. 2 years ago I bought 6 emachines for my classroom (I teach various courses to homeschoolers) and then about 2 months ago I had several of the systems having problems booting up. 5 machines within 3 weeks! I bought power supplies for each of them and when I replaced them all only 1 of them worked and even that one had problems shutting down as it acted as if it kept wanting to power cycle and the power led kept flashing on and off.

I don't have the money to replace all the machines so I am trying to figure out the least expensive way to get these machines up and running. Do you have any suggestions for me giving the information I provided?

One other question - I tried to send you a private message and received an error message that I had not turned on private messaging. I went to my profile and did not see any field for private messaging. Do you know how I can turn that on? I just registered to sysopt.com and looked through all the FAQ's but didn't find an answer as to how to turn on private messaging.

Thank you very much!

Otis

Each member can choose whether to receive private messages or not.

To access your PMs, click "User CP" above and then "List Messages" under "Private Messages".

As for your eMachines, the most likely scenario is that the power supplies died and the the power surge fried the motherboards. You should replace *all* eMachines power supplies whether they work or not because they are prone to this problem.

The ones that are not responding now need new motherboards. This is not an operation for the faint of heart. First off, the connectors to the front panel won't match (incuding USB ports). Secondly, you will have a hard time finding new motherboards that match the needs of your present CPU and memory sticks. Most times, you must actually replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM to get a match and that costs about $150-200 per machine.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Most times, you must actually replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM to get a match and that costs about $150-200 per machine.
    ...not to mention you may need to purchase a new copy of Windows per machine (XP likely) , since the Emachines Recovery cd image may not work with the new system upgrades . Add another 90 bucks .

At this point , you can try to isolate the problem to determine if all the machines suffer the same damage . You may be able to salvage something .

1. Open the case and check for bad caps , http://www.badcaps.net/ident/
    . If you find any the board needs replaced .

2. Make sure you purchased the correct power supply .

3. Remove or disconnect everything from the mainboard except the cpu w/fan , 1 stick of memory , vga card , monitor and a good working power supply . Try powering them on and see if they will at least POST and error out . You can swap parts between them if the parts match , ex. cpu's , memory ,video cards , etc. . Keep adding parts till you can get to Windows and shutdown properly . If your lucky , you may save a few .

If you need help finding replacements or additional info feel free to post back . However, it would probably be better to open a new thread per pc or component to help keep things straight .