Whats gone wrong?

Guys…hows it going.
    Having major problems with my system….

AMD 64 3500
    DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D Mobo
    2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC4000
    Leadtek 7800GT
    Levicom 550W PSU

last few days I have been getting many Blue Screens Of Death while gaming with different errors reported. I set all CPU and RAM speed to default and last night I ran Memtest32 for approx. 2 hours and it reported 7 errors or so in the run time. I then went to restart system…and it wouldn’t post at all. I then reset both SAFE BOOT and CMOS…and the system still failed to post. Thinking my RAM had gone problematic…I then retried the RAM individually and both sticks together is about as many combinations as possible…with the same errors occurring at start-up.
    The motherboard has two warning systems…beep codes and a led diagnostic. When I try to post I usually get repeating single long beeps which according to manual means RAM issues…however…the LED indicators vary between RAM detected and CPU detected.
    I find it strange that the system doesn’t boot with either of the RAM sticks installed individually and I wouldn’t have thought that both the RAM sticks would go faulty at the same time…which is why I think it may be the motherboard or CPU at fault.
    Everything apart from the CPU is only 4-5 months old and CPU being a retail version is just over a year old…so warranty should be valid on all parts. I just need to find the culprit component.
    I plan on getting some more RAM later to test in the system….but don’t have another motherboard or CPU to try. Any other way to find out what’s wrong...any ideas?

Cheers

You should have no errors in Memtest....after a complete test is run.
    1 error is one too many...

You can not control what bit of data goes to what chip or section of the RAM...

By the way, how is your Power SUpply...

You need a CPU, Vid Card (or onboard vid) and RAM in order to post....so, if the RAM is that bad, it probably won't beep or POST.
    Last edited by dajogejr; 02-21-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bblqj78
    ... I set all CPU and RAM speed to default ...

...I wouldn’t have thought that both the RAM sticks would go faulty at the same time…which is why I think it may be the motherboard or CPU at fault....
    they could if you fried them by overclocking too much! but then, it could also be the CPU that's cooked.

I've heard of Crucial Ballistix dying after a few months. Something about a voltage problem. My friend had to RMA his to newegg. Go check with your supplier.

It wasn't even an overclocking issue. Something about the spd is set wrong or something.

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=281153
    I've read that their internal SPD settings get whacked if you push them too hard.
    He tried the ram on a DFI Lan party and an Asus A8N32-SLI, so it's not the board.

See if you can get an exchange. Maybe some nice OCZs, Mushkins, Geils, or GSkills.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawbs
    they could if you fried them by overclocking too much! but then, it could also be the CPU that's cooked.

Good point, Strawbs...but, I didn't read anywhere in his post about OC'ing...so, I took that for granted. Silly me...

It's possible that it's an OC issue, but he shouldn't be getting memtest errors at all. swap out the ram first.

guys..the system was oced....cpu at 2.6Ghz and RAM at 247.

I'm struglling a bit here....I installed another standard Crucial 512 stick and ram memtest and got 1500errors in FIRST PASS!! wow.

I then tried to boot a few times and kept getting blue screens....mostly of the sort 0x0000000A type. A probable hardware issue...nothing new there then. I also had a few hard drive type error blue screens. Since then I have pulled every connector and power lead from everything in my case apart from the mobo, cpu, cpu fan, floppy drive and graphics card....so that I can only post to bios and run memtest86. I installed my original 2 x 1Gb stick in the original slots and set all the options regarding the RAM timings etc. (and there is a lot of them on a DFI board) to AUTO. I have booted in memtest and so far have completed 40 minutes testing...1 PASS with NO ERRORS. I will leave it running for another half hour or so....but where does that leave me? what now....I am not used to diagnosing a problem such as this cause i've never really had one.

Can you give me some guidance to find the problem...cheers

Oh yes...and there seems to be a lot of issues now with these 1Gb RAM stick...so much so that I belive Crucial have stopped production...from what I have read.
    I can RMA these tomorow(from OCUK)...but I'm not entirely sure they are the problem.

you corrupted the boot partition. time to do a restore from backup.

keep an eye on those ram modules. If you do a google search, i'm sure you will find threads about them.

keep notes of your ram timings before you tweak them. I know the DFIs have a bazillion options.

Quote Originally Posted by bblqj78
    Oh yes...and there seems to be a lot of issues now with these 1Gb RAM stick...so much so that I belive Crucial have stopped production...from what I have read.
    I can RMA these tomorow(from OCUK)...but I'm not entirely sure they are the problem.
    Yup, I heard the same thing. See, I wasn't lying.

That's why my friend received store credit from newegg instead of replacements. Something is just not right with those chips.

what tells you that I have corrupted the boot partician?

It did go into windows once but I tried to run a bnechmark and it wiped out again. Am I looking at a fresh install?

nearly an hour into memtest now...and no errors. does memtest use the CPU at all....if it was a problem with the CPU or chipset...would memtest give errors??

0x0000000A errors. I usually have to do at least a repair install for those.

you would want to run something like Prime95 to test the cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte

you would want to run something like Prime95 to test the cpu.
    Was thinking the same...MK, but...can Prime95 be run without Winders loading??