Thread: PS quits when 4 pin ATX connection is made

PS quits when 4 pin ATX connection is made

When I plug my 4 pin ATX connector to the MB (the one that allows the system to boot) the PS shuts down. I then need to turn off the PS and it will restart. But if I try to plug the connector in again it makes a small flash/snap and all shuts down again. If I leave it unplugged everything else works fine fans lights etc.
    Any help will be appreciated.

What type of system are we talking about? Is it a P4 system, AMD? We can't help if we don't know what type of system you have. I would say that if you get a flash and a snap you're well on your way to ruining your system though...
    kevrob1

Peace Go With You...

Ultimate Member
    Some of those 4 pin connectors can be installed Backward
    Double check that the Keyway or Index mark on the connector
    and circuit board are matching .. on some mobo there are
    Wire Colors or at least one color by the connector for ID
    Some of those connector have like a little snap lock tab
    on them ... the mobo would have an upright tab of plastic
    next to the pins .. it is possible to force the connector on
    in the wrong direction

Also, check the manual .. perhaps you are putting it on
    the Wrong 4 Pin Connector

The connector can only go on one way. It was working prior tothe problem. It is a ASUS A8N SLI Premium MB with a AMD 64 4000 CPU. It is brand new, It ran for a few hours or so and then quit. I removed all the cards etc and started putting things back one at a time and found this connector to be the problem.

Ultimate Member
    Then either you have a shorted mobo .. maybe a space in the wrong
    spot grounding it to the metal case, or your power supply has a defect

What type of power supply is this? Is it from a quality manufacturer, or is it a generic? What is its Wattage value and the amps on the various rails?

Quote Originally Posted by MJCfromCT
    What type of power supply is this? Is it from a quality manufacturer, or is it a generic? What is its Wattage value and the amps on the various rails?
    I believe its the MB since I should have 12V on 2 pins and GRD on the other 2. They are all grounded. I have a replacment MB coming and a PS. All the PS voltage outputs are within spec. All other MB voltage output are also okay.
    I bopught this from a company in CA. Its a 500 watt PS and it certainly is not an antec...LOL

Thanks for all the feedback.

uhh, am I hearing this right? Your plugging in a power connector into something while the pc is on? What are you plugging it into?

Big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    uhh, am I hearing this right? Your plugging in a power connector into something while the pc is on? What are you plugging it into?

Big no no.
    No. When it is plugged in the PS does not work, no fans etc. If it is removed then all works excpet it will not boot since that is what this connector is for according to the manual.

Ok... on my PSU..there is actually two differnt sets of the connectors you are talking about. The one to use i believe is one with the yellow and black wires....
    Since i am no expert on these things... other mobos might use a diferent config. as far as the wiring colors... Recheck the Mobo manual... ( Asus usally has good info and diagrams...and make sure its the right one. )

Is it square and has a clip on it like described above?? Yes only one way it connects..
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member
    All P4 connectors have two yellow (12volt) and 2 black (ground) wires. This is NOT the same connector that connects to the 20+4 pin atx connector. The P4 connector (yellow and black wire connector) is generally on a seperate part of the board, not part of the ATX connector itself.

Dah...i'm gald you clarified that Ramone ( sarcasm ) After re-reading his post i see now he was refering to the header power pin connectors... At first my power and bootup did the same thing...( wrong pin config. ) NO ..I was told it wouldn't really do much damage connecting to wrong ones... Most PSU's and Mobos have a saftey shutoff in the HW itself...

I am not too knowledgeable of those myself...and had to have a guy i know help me put the right ones on the right pins... It is tricky..and even my expert friend who builds computers..said mine was different even then some other boards... He said there ott to be a standard in the industry so we wouldn't have to go through this each time.. I agree!
    Often is has to do with the cases..as that seems to be another confusing part..as each case might have them labeled a bit different... I have like five seprate pin wires myself... I thought about this and it seems that they should just put ONE big header to attach so config. would not be an issue.. ( again..with color codes and mobo diagrams..it should not be a problem LOL
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 02-15-2006 at 04:01 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by RamonGTP
    All P4 connectors have two yellow (12volt) and 2 black (ground) wires. This is NOT the same connector that connects to the 20+4 pin atx connector. The P4 connector (yellow and black wire connector) is generally on a seperate part of the board, not part of the ATX connector itself.
    Yes... the one I am talking about is the 4 pin square connector with 2 balck and 2 yellow wires. It conects to a seperate place on the board. I have a AMD processor MB. I believe it is the MB and have a replacment on the way. The PS checks okay as best as everyone knows.

Thanks again.