Thread: new router problems.

new router problems.

got a router today. my computer connects to it fine through a wire. and the other downstairs that connected with a wireless card is having problems.

it says its connected. the green lights on on its utility theres a little windows connection thing that shows its connected. but still no internet any idea what the problem is?
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

what is the make and model of the router? what os are you using? did you try a wireless connection from close range? what is your signal strength? how did you orient the antennae?

Did you try the guides here first? Best of Networking

its a belkin f5d7231uk4. running xp on both. didnt try a wireless connection close up cant be bothere to move pc from downstairs upstairs etc. signal strength is good. antennae straight up. even tried pointing the router down to the reciever in the pc downstairs. will have a look at the guides
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

the antenna have a donut shaped range. point the antenna directly at the pc won't help. have the antenna of both the pc and the router horizontal and try again.

make sure that SSID broadcast is enabled on the router. remove any security until you get the connection set up. Then you can put on your WEP/WPA armor.

how do i make sure that ssid is enabled on the router? have done that with security.
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

you need to login to the router's configuration page via a browser

how do i go about login on to the router then. wat address do i put in the browser
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

ive got into the router settings
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

still no luck. now got both computer next to each other with excellent signal strength. what shall i try?
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Use the Home Networking wizard on the PC.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that you didn't read the instructions enough to know that there is a way to configure the router.
    MS MCP, MCSE

got it sorted re installed windows on the pc with the wireless card. how can i get it now so i can share my documents and files? cheers
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440