Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: POST YOUR 3DMARK2006 SCORES HERE!!!!

As far as ATI vs NVIDIA...I have both and like both....competition is good for all.

I just got an 8800GT for $168 including tax/shipping at the egg...and that price includes $30 rebate. This was a replacement for an ATI x800xt AIW..which was a great card for its time.

I did not save screen shot...but my 3dmark06 score was just a tad under 10,000...held back by my e6400 o/c to e6600 speed. I gained quite a bit by the cpu over clock..and nothing when over clocking my 8800GT. I am bottlenecked at the cpu....until the next upgrade.

System Specs:

Antec tower case (1030 I think)
    Antec 430 Watt True Power
    2 sticks PC3200 ram (2 gig total)
    1 floppy
    1 Benq 1620 Optical IDE
    1 Samsung 203b Optical SATA
    1 Liteon 160P6s IDE Optical
    Intel e6400 C2D
    Asrock 775Dual-VSTA Mobo
    2 Western Digital 36 Gig Raptors Raid0 SATA 10,000 RPM
    1 Segate 160 gig IDE
    1 Western Digital 80 gig IDE
    5 80mm case fans

Cool

Well I installed my Gigabyte 8800gt....this sure doesn't stack up to what most of what you guys have but can anyone tell me how this looks for a single core / single card system? I have everything running and have not done much as far as tweaking settings (any suggestions what to tweak??)...FSB oc'd to 235 (cpu@2.83) PCIe@115mhz....is this score any good??? (3D Mark '05 was 13846)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My guess is you have the same problem as me (see post above yours).

I think your cpu is not fast enough...if you can overclock your cpu...and your score goes up...then that will pretty much tell the story.

yes.., as RJ stated in the post reply two pages back, it is more CPU then anything.

A 4000+ is still a very nice CPU. I guess the trouble is like everything in this ongoing computer tech. trends and developements, it is not dual core, and its a bit past its primetime.

What yu want is a DDR2 system with 2GB's memory,a 5000+ and over CPU or Dual Core 2 6400 and above, and you already have the graphics card. Remember, that its just logical stuff. The higher end parts or HW that meets todays standards ALL combine together to get those high scores or performance.

Kind of like putting a Hemi engine in a Volkswagon. Doesn't quite fit the mold. lol
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 05-25-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    yes.., as RJ stated in the post reply two pages back, it is more CPU then anything.

A 4000+ is still a very nice CPU. I guess the trouble is like everything in this ongoing computer tech. trends and developements, it is not dual core, and its a bit past its primetime.

What yu want is a DDR2 system with 2GB's memory,a 5000+ and over CPU or Dual Core 2 6400 and above, and you already have the graphics card. Remember, that its just logical stuff. The higher end parts or HW that meets todays standards ALL combine together to get those high scores or performance.

Kind of like putting a Hemi engine in a Volkswagon. Doesn't quite fit the mold. lol
    I think you want more then a Core 2 6400 Rabbit...that is what I have...I picked up like 1500 points in the bench by overclocking the cpu from stock to core 2 6600 speeds.(as I remember...I know it was quite alot..but I do not have the saved screen shots and I am getting old...do not remember for long lol)...in the end I was a couple hundred points shy of 10,000...with the over clocked cpu.

I picked up nothing on overclocking the 8800GT...so I figure I am cpu bottlenecked..

This is just a guess on my part...just reporting what my system has/did with the 8800GT and overclock. Hope others chime on on what cpu one would need to max out the 8800gt??

Also...I think this bench is a test of both cpu and video card...I doubt you will get a decent score if you have a great cpu and a dog for a video card.(or the other way around)..the test you were asking about rabbit...which looks like a slide show...I think that is mostly a cpu test...like the poster you refer to explained.

The point about the memory...that is an interesting question...I wonder how much memory speed effects the score of this test? In other words...I have ddr pc3200...I doubt I would pick up very much score wise with ddr2...but I have no idea..just a guess?

Edit..rabbit check the screen shot above...the bench has a cpu score and vid score..the core 2 extrme in that screen shot...look at the cpu score on that processor.
    Last edited by Roadhog; 05-25-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Its the platform and updated MB's RH. When i upgraded a time back, I saw a tremedous performance gain. You can't use DDR on a DDR2 platform ( which i know you know )> Sure the memory may be a tad better ONLY, but most of these boards support the higher end CPU's. The 939 for AMD only went up to 4800. A E6400 is still a nice CPU. Right below the 6600 is it not? The 6600 is about a few frames better then what i have now, but not bunches. Put that on a current 775 Intel board ( i believe thats the one ),along with the DDR2 and the hit points will skyrocket quite a bit.

Late on I will do some checking on that E6400. I am not as adept at what they do overall. The 6600 remember runs at 1066MHZ memory. Mine is running at 800. Maybe that is the bottleneck huh? Yours is running at 400. hello!

You are right as the analogy points to. Never should one put a very high end video card on a pervious generation MB or paired with that systems CPU, which uses DDR memory. It might work OK, but performance drops. Makes sense doesn't it?
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    Its the platform and updated MB's RH. When i upgraded a time back, I saw a tremedous performance gain. You can't use DDR on a DDR2 platform ( which i know you know )> Sure the memory may be a tad better ONLY, but most of these boards support the higher end CPU's. The 939 for AMD only went up to 4800. A E6400 is still a nice CPU. Right below the 6600 is it not? The 6600 is about a few frames better then what i have now, but not bunches. Put that on a current 775 Intel board ( i believe thats the one ),along with the DDR2 and the hit points will skyrocket quite a bit.

Late on I will do some checking on that E6400. I am not as adept at what they do overall. The 6600 remember runs at 1066MHZ memory. Mine is running at 800. Maybe that is the bottleneck huh? Yours is running at 400. hello!

You are right as the analogy points to. Never should one put a very high end video card on a pervious generation MB or paired with that systems CPU, which uses DDR memory. It might work OK, but performance drops. Makes sense doesn't it?

Talking about only the memory aspect:

Rabbit..I am looking at it in my set up as far as memory goes. I have an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA mobo...cheap board price wise...but filled the need of using old parts and upgrading to a core 2 duo.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...5Dual-VSTA&s=n

It supports both ddr and ddrII memory..one or the other.(but not both at the same time).I had read up on the mobo back when I bought it. I had read an article that tested it with ddr memory..then with ddrII memory...they said it was not that much difference...I and I already had ddri memory from another build.

Now as far as bottleneck at memory...I do not think so...but I wish an expert would chime in... Where the memory may be bottlenecking me is in my ability to overclock more then what I am (2353mhz..or 2.3 ghz)..where a stock e6400 is 2.13ghz and the e6600 is stock at 2.4ghz). I have read these cpus over clock much more...but this is as far as I can get and be very stable. This is with out voltage increases...as the board does not have that option (for the cpu).

Thanks for the feedback Rabbit...I am not sure what my bottleneck is for sure...as I have no parts to swap out...but the cpu is still my best guess.

Tht mobo is supposed to be one of the more popular ASRock mobos i've heard. I understand more whne you describe it like ya did.
    My old board was the first of its kind board that used both AGP. and PCIE it has an add-on card thing where ya can put a added DDR2 board on the chipset slot,a dn use the newer AM2 platfrom. I think right after they made that they came out with the board you got, which is Intel 775,but i'm confused a bit. If it supports both DDR and DDR2, then a higher end CPU and DDR2 would help some for he score. Your board has limits on OC'ing i think.

This is why i made a Mobo switch also, for some of your same reasons. I do not overclock, but knew i would be up to date more with a board like this. There are alot of boards for DDR2 out there for AM2 and Intel 775, or later that support higher bus frequencies. That would help for your OC'ing. I'm sure that is the key. You are going to be limited somewhat. A good cooler for CPU would help also, as well as what we talked about.. The PSU. Hope your understanding that. Antec is great but you need alot more power RH. Dual rails and at least 550 and above..preferred.
    I'm sure since ya just bought that video card, that you cannot afford to just run out and get a new board. Don't know. Its still good that prices are constantly going down.

I would agree that a 6600 and DDR2 would push that score up quite a bit. MY old 3800 ran at 2.0 GHZ for petes sake. A jump up to 2.8 shuld be alot better one would hope. Intel's don't need as much due to thier architecture it created.

TBH, i think your wasting alot of time and curiousity on something that should be clear to you. You can only do with what you have. Your build is nice but not like some. I know others with my CPU and some board getting like 14000 3D marks.

Sell the CPU and get a 6600 if that helps. Or, start by getting a new board and then CPU, then DDR2 memory. life is a ?, and we never can keep up with this garbage of upgrading. The industry moves too fast for us practical people, who have little monies for all this.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 05-26-2008 at 01:58 AM.

RH, I also wanted to ask if ya tried out both of our two favorite series games. R6 Vegas. I bet they at least look tons better with your new vidoe card. The first one is now even more stunning. I was amazed at the difference. No slowdowns at all now.. Every game i play is fluid as snot,with high settings, and some i can use 8X now if not all. lol

Yea..the board I have supports both ddr and ddrII...but you have to use one or the other...not both at the same time Sounds pretty close to what you had...but no add on board is needed for ddrII and it is Intel of course.

1. I just stated I think I am cpu bottlenecked and I think the other poster is also.
    2. I do not think the e6400 is enough cpu for the 8800gt (my guess).
    3. You may be right about the memory...but I am not sure it would make much of a difference in my mobo.
    4. Not complaining Rabbit...just discussion...I was done until the other poster said he had a low 3dmark score and was wondering why...and my belief is he has the same problem as me...not enough processor power.

I will have to spend some time here and other 3dmark forums to figure out what I need as far as cpu power to push the 8800gt. That wolfdale looks good?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037

No waste of parts here...when I get the P/S, Mobo, cpu, memory...I will use the old parts for build for my wife...she is using an amd 1800+ lol.

PS According to this:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

I have a few watts to spare...it is an old antec 430 true power...and I think I read it was made my seasonic..it seems to be a tough one??

The Wolfdale is probably the best bang for the buck ATM, and has no problem keeping pace with most GPU's

Wile there are many little tricks to squeezing out an extra point here and there, and having skill with over clocking is a must for high scores
    The bottom line is money, plain and simple
    Just like motor sports, the faster you want to go the more money you need to spend

I was for the last couple years, completely addicted to bench marking, and upgraded almost weekly to maintain a top 10 system
    Now I have come to my senses, and stopped throwing money in the wind
    Wile my system / systems, are still above average, they are completely out dated in the world of top 10 bench scores, but do any task I need them too without a problem
    I'm not saying that if I was made of money, I wouldn't continue to waste it on every new piece of hardware that hit the market
    But made of money I am not, and there are better things to use it for

All I'm trying to say (and to long winded sorry) is this

If your system runs the games you play (what most bench marks equate to), or does what ever it is you use your system for, without causing you problems
    Then your bench score really don't matter

Though it is a great boost to the E-Pen*** to post a BIG score

Sorry for rambling
    RJ

"and upgraded almost weekly to maintain a top 10"

Man...

"But made of money I am not, and there are better things to use it for"

Like invest in enough gas to put in your car right?

What are your specs RJ?? Something tells me you have some killer parts.

Very early on in OCing the Q6600 rig.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7100799

17037 and I think I can get more after I fool around a bit. Maybe not??

Just threw in an MSI NX8800GT 512mb OC. It's 660mhz core.
    Old 3dmark06 score on my 7900GS- 4,913

New score is.
    is.......

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

LOL. That looks about right to me. Nice! Last time i ran mine i got around 9866 or so.with an OC'ed 9600GT. How much is that 8800GT overclocked to? Mine is at 680 and 1900.