Thread: New build HDD not recognized

New build HDD not recognized

I'm sure there are lots of folks having problems after all the new computers getting put together. I got a gigabyte g8n-pro, with a Hitachi 250g SATA.
    I cannot get it to see the HDD. All else I have hooked up is a cd/DVD drive.
    I've tried all sorts of bios setting and nothing. I also tried to update the bios to F5, but my FDD did not work. I'll get a new tomorrow.
    any ideas.?
    I can boot get the hitachi utility to boot but it shows no drive info. Also the bios shows only info for the CDdrive. At one point today the bios did show the HDD, but after I tried to load the new O/S... XP home it actually would not load the s/w. I did get to fomat the drive and it loaded up some files before the windows stuff starts up.
    After the reboot it starts over with the very beginning of the o/s load. Hope that makes some sense.

Hope you guys can shed some light.....thanks in advance.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Did you plug both special cables into the SATA drive?

Did you enable SATA in the BIOS?

Well I got the cable from the PSU in and the one that goes to the motherboard plugged intot the #0 location( I tried others).
    In the bios practically all the options for SATA are enabled. but nowhere does it show anything but IDE......which is the CD drive. I'm hoping a bios update will help out....along with a working floppy to get it done with.

I don't know anything abou SATA.....but have put in a few HDD's with no hitches before. But this is a total new build and I am second guessing my throughness and having all the right stuff plugged in and if there are any jumper settings somewhere or something. The SATA drive has no jumpers that I could find?

S_A meant don't use both power connectors on the drive at the same time , thats bad.
    Make sure those SATA cable connectors are seated all the way in , they can be alittle decieving.
    There is no record of a G8N-Pro board at Gigabyte , so my guess you have a K8N-Pro ?
    If so, there is a bios update for SATA , you might check to see if you need it.
    Also, theres a pdf manual for installing SATA for the Sil3512 SATA Controller ,
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Download..._sii3512_e.pdf

Thanks, and yes it is the K8N-Pro-sli. I did update the bios, and I got everything working finally. I'm not really sure what the solution was though. I was actully in the raid set-up(?) area F10 button on start-up....goofing around in there when my drive was recognized and then awy I went. Idid get to load the RAID drivers (Igot from Gigabyte)using the floppy and the F6(button upon start-up (per the sticky link above). It's working fine now. Thanks for the help....Happy New Year!