Thread: MOBILE 2500 booting at lowest 6X MULTI

Ultimate Member

MOBILE 2500 booting at lowest 6X MULTI

Recently AMD returned an XP3200 for my RMA'd 2200 cpu, so I decided to use that on my Asus A7N8X, and pull its mobile 2500 for use in my ECS K7S5A.

However, my unlocked mobile 2500 chip boots at 6X multiplier on the ecs board. I know I can run Crystal CPU software to raise the multi back up to 14 x max, BUT since I'm also running SPeedFan to raise FSB to 166/166 (would rather not run both programs simultaneously), what do I need to do to lock the mobile multi at 14X?

All searches yield UNLOCKING desktops, but I want to do the opposite: LOCK the MOBILE!

All input appreciated, thanx!

Ultimate Member
    I might surmise since I ask some very unique questions, no one has the knowledge, ergo no responses! Or something like that.....

Has NO ONE tried this? Surely I'm not the only user experiencing similar issue, or would you just get different cpu or board? After all, I could just obtain a plain desktop 2500 already locked.

Interesting how all the available literature indicates the mobile is simple drop-in chip, that will boot at default native multi...tell that to my setup! Wonder if bios plays into this...maybe revert back to stock ecs bios? Using HoneyXoc 3811 presently, as its one if not THE best.

I would reply with help if I could but I don't know what your asking so I certainly won't be any help with the answer. I liked the ecs K7s5a. It was a good mobo but the onboard sound was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by krazefinn
    I might surmise since I ask some very unique questions, no one has the knowledge, ergo no responses! Or something like that.....
    Errr… people work for a living. Don’t get your panties in a knot because your question didn’t get answered within five hours of posting.

My guess would be it’s a limit of that sis chipset. It probably doesn’t recognize the chip. It is a “mobile” cpu. With the chip not having a set multi the board doesn’t know what to do so it just defaults to the lowest possible one.

Have you checked for a newer bios? I think you’re only real option might be to put it in the a7n8x. Most likely you could have it run faster than that 3200 could ever hope to.

You might want to look into selling the 3200 or getting another mb for it. Maybe selling the ecs to help cut the cost could be an option.

Other than that you might just have to run crystal cpu along with speedfan.

Cheers de The Lodge

Ultimate Member
    Panties? In a bunch? Mois? Never, don't wear 'em!
    lol
    Just commenting on fact that last 2 or 3 questions I've posed to the collective have elicited no edifying responses...

I KNOW there must be a way to "lock" the multi at 14. Considering you can open them on a locked one, why wouldnt the reverse also hold true? Having difficulty finding the "locked 2500" bridge arangement, presently trying to decipher the ocinside maps.

Yup, considered putting the mobile back on Asus, but the 3200 does 2800 mhz on it, using FSB of 218. The mobile was hard pressed to hit 2500 mhz on Asus, no matter what I tried. Have also considerd getting another mb, but dont really want 3 socket A boards, next one has to be a 64...also tried to swap the 2500 mobile for something like a 2600 dt, and maybe a litle differential, but all I got were offers to straight-up swap to downgrade to 2200, 2400. Don't really want to do that either...

So I'm left with using an oc biois, speedfan for fsb bump and crystalcpu for multi bump...not sure if I can configure both to work simultaneously, and automatically (pin to startup folder I guess, which one goes first and how to modify? That info is just not forthcoming...)

And I still havent determined why this particular board and cpu boots at lowest multi (had to load windows at 66% underclock, 878 megahurts.), when all others seem to recognoze the mobile "native" multuiplier (14x on the 2500). Obviously Murphy never sleeps!

Bottom line, I'm pretty well stuck with this proc, and am gonna search until I find how to "lock" the mobile multiplier at 14X. That results in a nice overclock (chip already has proven itself to run at 14 X 166, instead of 14 X 133 stock) of 25%, achieving 2324 mhz vs stock 1863.

Dude if you wanna lock you multi's mod the proc to an MP, and then use the i think it's L6 for the mobiles, wait scratch the mod to MP, change the L6 Bridge to a higher multi here's the link http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html that site has ALOT of info but the only thing you have to do is paint the bridges accordingly to your preference it's like the opposite of what were you saying of unlocking
    Athlon XP 2100+ @ 2.24 (178X12.5)
    512Mb DDR400 (Corsair)
    80Gb WD 8Mb Cache
    Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb DDR
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2
    SB Live! Value
    Intel NIC
    2 CD-RW 8x4x32 & 2x4x24 (im cheap)

TwEaKist

wow, lots of numbers, abbreviations and articulations. I am able to change my multiplier in the BIOS of my Asus K8N Mobo, and when I save the settings it stays at what I set it to. I dont think its that big of a deal, just get a new motherboard or better BIOS.