Thread: DSL to Cable changes

DSL to Cable changes

Had a laptop at home connected via router to a DSL ISP network using a wireless NIC.

Went to university in another city and the system is a wired router connected to a cable ISP network. Getting a message at startup saying "Cannot find server or DNS error".

Cable techs had us remove extra NIC definitions for PPPOE but still can't connect. Physically removed the wireless NIC also. There are other students in this home who connect easily to the router and ISP network.

Where do we start looking for the cause of this problem?

Go into the network card's properties and make sure it's set to automatically acquire an IP from a DHCP server and make sure it's set to automatically get a DNS server.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

I connected directly to the cable modem, (rather than go through the router), then called ISP's tech support and they got me to disable the Norton Personal Firewall and all was good. They had me do a ping to www.yahoo.com which worked and led to the determination that it was a firewall thing.

However, when I connect back in through the router again I can't get the internet anymore. Ping gives me unknown host. Wazzup?

Networking is soooo frustrating. I connected a different system to the network cable, logged in OK then swapped the cable back to the laptop and it's OK. Robooted laptop and the problem was back for a couple of minutes then cleared itself. I hate networking.

You might have Authentication issue.

May be this can Help, How to Fix Cable/DSL Internet authentication (password).