Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stupid router or stupid user??

Stupid router or stupid user??

Hi guys

Windows XP Pro
    Cable modem
    Zone alarm fully configured
    NO WIN firewall

I bought the netgear RP614 router with firewall and SPI (single packet inspection). Installed it all ok and works and can share connection between 2 comps and played lan game adn can share files. All seems well BUT.......

if i use any downloading client (azerues, limewire ect) then all is ok at first. Now if i shutdown azerues, and say open another program, do sumthing else for 10 mins then restart azerues i get NAT errors and sumtime it wont connect at all.
    This happens everytime but only on downloading software. Interent is always ok, messenger ok ect just these downloading clients.

I have 2 options:

Either i turn router of from mains, wait 2 mins then plus back in and works fine again until i close the downloading client. Once i restart it same thing. It also DOESNT matter is i shutdown comp and restart. this has no effect only restarting router

OR

i login into the router setup and change the END port from say 24000 to 24001. A small change that should not make any diff but it does. When the downloading torrent freezes again then i change it bacl to 24000 and ok again for that session.

Port forwarding done correctly (read many FAQ to) and the IP address i use IS the right one 192.168.0.02 (i think) and the second comp IS not connected for time being until i sort this so no chance of using wrong ip to wrong comp. This is a NAT issue and i am stumped.

You shouldnt have to turn the router on and off after every session. Could it be that the router does not know that the "session" for azerues has ended once i close it on my comp?

Any ideas u network whizz's?

For the love of GOD why wont this work?

Firmware?
    MS MCP, MCSE

sorry Bill forgive my ignorance but....... eh?

what do you mean?

Most routers have firmware updates regularly. The fact that you don't know what I meant tells me that you haven't updated yours.
    MS MCP, MCSE

yep i did update. i know what fireware is, but your response didnt give me any direction. it looked liked u were asking me if my router has firmware or has the latest firware updates or what version of the firmware was i using. Thats why i didnt understand, response was just little vague.

That was the first thing i tried but is still a no-go

The problem is how on earth can i tell if the router is faulty? Im pretty sure this was set up right and i know full well about other firewalls and the connections are all good, just certain type of software. Is there any testing software u can use to test the NAT of a router or any tricks or parts of the log which may indicate a problem. This is more what i am after.

Well, there may yet be a firmware update in the works. I would disable Zone Alarm on the router. I can't see how that helps anyway. I have the option, but I refuse to use it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Well the first thing u should have done is work out whether its the pc or the router! Even though it seems at though its the router at fault - be sure!

Try it on the other pc if it works ok its a pc issue!

If it doesnt its deffo the router so you can get onto Netgear!
    Have u been to the netgear site and checked out the Faqs?

Also turning on the UPNP & SSDP service on XP and the router is essential to avoid this sort of problem with XP!
    Last edited by omendata; 09-13-2005 at 10:19 PM.
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Ok guys here is what i have tried so far:

I read thru all the netgear FAQ and help sections so i have portforwarding done correctly

I have changed all the ports on the software and changed them in port forwarding to.

I downloaded the lastest fireware last night and installed it

I downloaded the tool to change the MUT (Maximum Unit Transmission) and tried different settings according to netgear website. Now i re-set it back to 1500 (default setting)

Zone Alarm is NOT portforwarded.

Only the portforwarded apps are the ones causing problems (includes my ftp client and msn messenger. After all that is it STILL the same. I STILL can only access my portforwarded apps when i log into netgear website, go to portforwarding section and click apply (all the apps and ports were still on there)
    Only then it works.

Also Omendata....what is UPNP & SSDP and how do i activate it. Sumone told me about this in messenger and that i wouldnt need portforwarding if it is enabled but i looked thru messenger options and found nothing about this?

Any ideas guys...this problem is getting annoying now and im fast running out of ideas. Noone else i know with a router has this problem

upnp

upnp its in services under administrative tools

dunno where it is on the netgear router ive got a linksys
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

hmm well thanks anyways omendata

Anyone else here have a netgear router that have caused them problems?

I had a netgear RP614 rev 1 (you're probably on rev 3). UPNP is Univeral Plug and Play, which I think allows other network-enabled devices (like XBOXes) with the appropriate apps to hook to the net. I don't think it has anything to do with Port Forwarding per se. If you don't plan on using any such devices, I'd leave UPNP disabled. IIRC, the little check box for UPNP should be near the bottom of the last tab, in case you want to turn it on.

I'm afraid I don't know what SSDP is... oh wait, here it is: http://www.theeldergeek.com/ssdp_discovery_service.htm.

It could very well be that the particular router you have has a defect. Sadly, Netgear quality has been slipping of late. I presently have an FVS318, and it will not stand up to a ShieldsUp test - it tucks tail and resets. Their customer service is also marginal, so I've decided to build my own router with IPCOP.

Also consider looking through the DSLReports Equipment forum for more information on your router model. I just did a drive-by surf, and it looked like the Netgear forum was buzzing with annoyance.

Anyway, good luck.

Thank rusty4x4 for your reply

Yup the netgear forum is a total waste of time. Many unanswered posts and many posts about the RP614 family of routers to with no proper responses or solutions offered.

Ah well its all a learning experience. I have learnt that netgears support and knowledgebase is poor, and tech support seem like they need support themselves.

At the end of the day the router works, just not as it should. I still got internet connection with a netgear router so maybe im a lucky one judging by the forums

Jeez

Listen Rusty I would stick to other another forum section if you dont know what you are talking about - Ive been a network engineer for 20 years dont try and teach me to suck eggs!

Hoola I think this is what u may be looking for - I just hate hand holding thought u might have tried a bit harder - took me one click in google! Thought u had looked at the Netgear forum?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100725.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;323713

Using UPnP

UPnP is the easiest, because port configuration is handled automatically. If your router, operating system, and application can all use UPnP, then any number of computers can use the same application at the same time. Examples of routers supporting UPnP are: MR814, MR814v2, WGR614, and WGR614v2. Most recent online applications know how to use UPnP, check their documentation to be certain. Windows 98 users can get UPnP by installing the ICS client from the Windows XP Network Setup Disk. Microsoft's Description of Universal Plug and Play explains UPnP in detail

And remember to patch your system - hope your Xp system is patched to sp2 with all the latest doohicky patches as UPNP has a flaw but its rarely exploited!

Last edited by omendata; 09-14-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omendata
    Listen Rusty I would stick to other another forum section if you dont know what you are talking about - Ive been a network engineer for 20 years dont try and teach me to suck eggs!
    Um, where'd THAT come from? I was trying to help hoola with my own operating experience with Netgear stuff, as well as their staff, and what little I knew about UPNP. I sure didn't mean any offense to you or anyone, Omendata.

Peace

No u poo pooed Upnp and SSDP - Its the easiest way to get port forwarding to wrok without the hassle hes going thru!

My fault too i was in a real bad mood this morning
    Girlfriend problems!

Male PMT

Netgear routers are cr@p for anything other than connecting to the net!
    Buy cheap pay twice as my gran always says!
    Netgear only chucked in all those extra features in the hope it would make the router look sweet but obviously havent put much testing into action as it seems they are pretty useless firmware and their help is legendary (bad that is!)

You want advanced features and for htem to work get a Linksys!

Peace dude!
    Just when you post something know a bit about it before you discard it - I was tryin to help the guy along and u interrupted thats all!