Thread: Memory

Memory

Can anyone help me, I have a two year old Advent computer (Intel 2.2) with a Microstar motherboard. I want to upgrade the memory but I have no idea what sort it is. I took a module out but there is no information on it. Is there a software download that I can use to run and find out the configuration?

Many thanks..

What type of Advent is this (i.e. 3607... 3310... 7076... 7078)

select your Motherboard Model Number >HERE !

Crucial guarantee to match their ram to your system.

Jediburke,

The model is shown as a 595?? That's all that's written on the PC, I have checked the Advent listing and this is not shown.

Strawbs, the motherboard version is unknown, I have gone through the manual that came with the PC but there is nothing of interest there, serves me right for buying from PC World!!

Chubtub, I downloaded the link you gave, it says DDR SDram, does this mean that I can fit any speed of memory as long as it complies with DDR SDram?

I am sorry to sound so bloody useless but my computer skills died with DOS, just getting old I suppose.....

Any help much appreciated!!

There were two types of memory that came out and in use when your PC was built. Since the program said DDR SDRAM I am would assume you have DIMM's in your computer. You can buy DDR RAM in multiple speeds (PC2700, PC3200 etc....) You would need (or should use) the proper speed for your system.

RDRAM or Ramus RAM was the other memory option intel used at the time your computer was built. I have several Dell Precison 340's that all use Rambus and are P4 2.0GHz.

Does either utility state yur boards chipset type or perhaps list the board model? Maybe there is an ID on the Post Screen - mine has my model listed in a long string at boot. You may have the dsame thing. Start the computer and hit the PAUSE key to see if you can temporarily top post and read the entire id string.
    Last edited by rraehal; 09-01-2005 at 05:02 PM.
    -- Mathias

rraehal, Thanks for the response. I did what you said and the memory information says that it is PC 2100. So, do I go out and buy DDR SDram at 2100 speed? will that be okay and is it still available? Would it work if I put in a faster speed?

Again, sorry to be so hopeless!!

yes!

DDR ram is backwards compatible - you could put in PC2700, PC3200 or faster and have it work.

any faster than that stated would be a waste unless you were thinking of upgrading other parts of the system later on though.

I was pointing out the speed because you don't want to go slower. Per strawbs post you should be fine. You can buy PC3200 and it will run at PC2100 speeds. If you upgrade you can put the PC3200 in a new system if it uses it.

The problem happens in the reverse direction. If you put RAM in a PC3200 system that is PC2100 all of the RAM will slow down or the PC2100 would run at a fst speed causing errors.
    -- Mathias

Many thanks all..