Thread: win 2000 professional remote adminsitration

win 2000 professional remote adminsitration

Hi there , is it possible to use win2000 professional as a file server and remote adminstrate it. I have a spare copy and I want to set up a file and mail server, but I donot want to connect a mouse/keyboard/monitor to it?

Cheers

asterias

To my knowledge Win 2K Professional is limited to 10 concurrent connections.
    I’m not 100% sure if it’s physically hard coded or just that the EULA explicitly prohibits using it as a server to more than 10 connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandar
    To my knowledge Win 2K Professional is limited to 10 concurrent connections.
    I’m not 100% sure if it’s physically hard coded or just that the EULA explicitly prohibits using it as a server to more than 10 connections.
    It is hard coded. There is a microsoft article somewhere that teaches you how to unlock 50 connectiosn or so for a web server on XP Pro or 2000 Pro. The 10 file connections can not be changed by Microsoft products. It would violate the EULA to bypass the connection limit with 3rd party tools.
    -- Mathias

Yes I strongly suspected it would be hard coded. I know that its covered in the EULA.
    Thanks for confirming it though.