Thread: MSN.. whats up with having to pay for hotmail..read on

MSN.. whats up with having to pay for hotmail..read on

For the life of me I cannot understand what in the world is going on here.

A few days ago I did clean install of a much more updated versio of WXP Pro with SP 2 and have had litttle problems if any at all for abouut the first three days.

I was able to access my hotmail and IE just fine... and then suddenly sometime starting yesterday.. I could no longer access IE ..nor read any of my email messages.

Just a little while ago after going through all the Outlook express options menu choices and setting and resetting options and doing just about every thing else I know how...to try and fix or find a solution... I then went into my connection settings under Control Panel to check for things there.

My connection is fine.... going and coming. My default is on the Broadband setting.

MSN is usally my home page..as it worked and showed up just fine for the first three days....

SO... I notice the MSN intaller is off or not installed ( even though it shows up in my program folder..so I do waht i typicaly do and do the MSN connectiion wizard.
    Clicking on already have an email account and then entering my email address and password.. I then get the next page with this:

two choices... sign up for MSN for 29.95/month for some such off or sign up for a hortmail account for $9.95 /month WTF

I remember MS as saying they would be charging for some sort of accounts ( hotmail or whatever starting when or whatever ) .

Outlook express comes up and is not set as my default connection..but it comes up and theer aer my mesages and its working. When I click on any email message link to read ... something is blocking this.

My firewall by MS is on ....and no viruses or adware is embedded either when Ad Adware is run or other.

This will get solved.. but i now have to use Firefox ( again, why I install it ..and it proves my point again ) , to go directly into this forum and read or rememvber what i wrote to alll of you guys and gals.

Frustrating to say the least.... at least my new install and computer is running like a top.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

so.......i like muffins
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

hahahah I like your humor.. no biggie as at least Firefox works and putting MSN as my start page and using click on Hotmail linnk is the ONLY way to accesss my hotmail acct. ..but it works that way. No other method with IE , hotmail shortcut , nor Outlook express works....

I use my computer for games and hotmail for about 90 % of what I do.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

[B]I use my computer as a plant stand.

i can never understand why people customize outlook to receive their webbased emails? Our network has not been experiening any problems with either msn or hotmail. Also on the network instead of installing MSN messenger we use webmessenger so no installation required. Also Microsoft will not charge for hotmail (personal mail not corporate of business).....they cant.

At the moment Microsoft (hotmail) is fighting it out with GMAIL (google mail) for the customer base as many are moving to google mail. If microsoft charged they would instantly loose as google and yahoo still free and google mail, like its online photo editing software Picasa will remain free. Who on earth woulld pay for hotmail when yahoo and gmail are both free, and from my opinion superiour mail clients?

Hotmail also has a very bad habit of linking to messenger to start the messenger service when u login to your mail. I dont like this feature and nor do many parents who dont seem to realise this and find out their kids have been playing about with messenger online with their user names! Suprising how many people think just closing the browser logs you out
    For the love of GOD why wont this work?

Ultimate Member
    It still seems to be free .. I just accessed my
    msn email from Mozilla & it went thru fine

Hotmail is free for Web based access. You can also use Outlook or Outlook express with MSN software/MSN Subscription. Hotmail began to charge for Outlook and Outlook express access in any other circumstances. Its in an agreement somehwere. Il post it if I can find it.

[edit] http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1652391,00.asp [/edit]

Hola Hoop - I use Outlook to check my hotmail inbox all the time. I have a pop account as well. I do it so I can have hotmail messages and my pop messages both on my Pocket PC. I am sure there are other reasons.
    Last edited by rraehal; 08-18-2005 at 06:23 PM.
    -- Mathias

bruceb... Exactly what i said. That is because it is not onnected to MS in any way.

I always disable messenger in my system porcesses which limits or stops those pesky ( understatement ) messenger popups and reminders.., but then again it has an options menu so you can not have it access this way or start up in your toolbar.

Messenger probably works well if used properly and configured correctly, but upon intial utilization , it can be real annoying before you figure all of this out.thats for sure.

Myself, i just do it this way. I have MSN as my homepage ( not necessary but that is what I have it set for ) , and then just put the hotamil link on my desktop and or put that icon in my start menu bar... one click and whammo i'm in like flint.

What is important to ermembe is they use a >.Net passport that you need to sign into..usually just once and then your setup.

Outlook express has had its sharwe of porblems over the past few years and several hotfixes and security issues have been addressed... Now it seems to work well for the most part... I like alot of the features in Outlook express and one is the fact that you do not need to click an extra link to view each email message. I can see why this would be a good business tool or ally so Hola Hoop i see your point there.

MSN comes with your software ... In the past it used to be fre and yuo could run the wizard and set it up...and away you went. Now..., they give you the installer ..which isnothing more than the same and upon entering it informs you that it costs so much pr month or year..for choices...

As pretty as it all was ... I always got real annoyed with it... I do not need all that fuss and muss just to read my emails... extra garbage for the feeble minded soul.

In case others did not read my other posts on the subject here, I got my IE and hotmail to work..but only after contacting MSN and informing them . It turns out that if you have a old email account upon a clean install.. it will not re-recognize what you had before and I am under the assumtion that its only with accts. more than 3-4 years old.

Computers are always going othave issues esp. with each seperate indidvidual depending upon what we do with it, and in the incredibly huge world of users out there, porblems may occur moreoften than not....

Ultimate Member
    I also use it thru IE6 & Netscape 7 sometimes
    I personally think the MSN Browser
    that you get with a sub to msn internet
    is a waste .. too bloated & not needed

Ultimate Member
    firefox and thunderbird are better replacements for iexplorer and outlook.

beside the fact that i had lost inbox-messages in my providers-mailbox(not thunderbird) i had no major problems.
    that happened when i reused an older password. meanwhile i have my firefox-passwords protected(encrypted) with a masterpass.

for security reasons one should access the internet as a restricted user and take some major steps.
    unfortunately i cannot post the instructions. they are in german.
    so maybe our experts can.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

yes but this is what i dont understand. I take the point about pop account and pocket pcs and all that....but my point is that if u want private messages, confidential and safe and everything else then get a dedicated email from the ISP. Why use a public email for outlook? What benifits are there from going thru all this hassle to put your hotmail account on there whcih u can already access from any pc connected, as opposed to simply using your ISP's non-public access email acount which is just as transferable ?
    This is the point i dont seem to understand, what the benifits are for webbased email?

Quote Originally Posted by nchan10111
    so.......i like muffins
    I like cake...but that won't solve his problem

Ultimate Member
    Hola,

For one thing, with certain ISP Email accounts, you can not
    get to your email unless you have a Current ISP Service with
    that company ... Now something like Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail,
    is Free & can be accessed from Any internet point ... you do not
    need a fee based isp service to get to or use the email

For example:

Let's say I have Verizon DSL Service & I create an email account
    Alll is well as long as I have their service .. If I drop them, say for
    Optimum On Line, I will no longer be able to get to my old email
    at Verizon.net (I would probably be able to move all my mail & addresses
    over to my new email .. most isp's give you a day or so to do this)

Good point.... the majority of the internet world more than likely uses a public email server..

If in fact you have some sort of personal business ( like a company or th like ), then the private ISP might work well.., but then agian how about all of those that use your business or those who deal with you ...and they have public only... then what??

Kind of seems more an individual thing then any kind of real overall solution(s)

Ahh i get your point now guys, its more so you can keep the same email address without having to inform everyone all over again if u cancell your isp account.

Hehe that option never really occured to me as i been with my ISP for 7 years and dont see it changing in forseeable future, so that didnt occur to me.

Sumthing to remember though