Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quake 4

quake 4

well everyone I just returned from quakecon 2005 at which I played lots of the quake 4 multiplayer test. They had one level setup which contained most of the guns, and let me tell you ... wow this game is going to be big. Its got sort of that heavy doom3 engine feeling to it with quake3 style speed / action. They had it setup with 16 player deathmatch and everything ran great and smooth on really high quality graphics settings, the pcs running it were p4 3.2ghz, 2gb ddr400, and a 6800 gt. They have done quite a bit of work making the engine a lot more multiplayer friendly and they've done a great job with it, overall I think this game will be just as popular as quake3 was and will definately be the new tournament game for pro gamers.

That's good you had fun. Did they give out any free goodies?

One question about the gaming machine requirements... Will this game need that much ram to play good ???

It was probably nice to be able to play it on a moderate to high end machine... but I hope it runs good with a bit less ram...like 1 GIG.

yeah.. from the screenies i had ( before I did my reinstall ) it looked very Doom 3 like in graphics.. but thats not a bad thing at all.. I was excited at the over all environments and mechanical things in the game...and the variety of characters.

I know for myself, I don't need anyone to tell me anything negative along the way..as I am getting this game sure thing no matter what.

Soo. from your prespective.. it was extra special and really good??
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Rabbitrunner, the game will most likely run just fine with 1 gig of ram, maybe not have the eye candy maxed out like they did, but will definately look and play good as they have made very good optimizations to the engine, also this was almost more like a beta, i could tell it had some problems as every couple hours or so they'd have to restart the game on certain pcs because it was getting pretty jotty, but they will have that fixed before they release it I'm sure.

Bob05, I got tons of free stuff, mostly t-shirts of course i got 12 of them from the different companies that were there, I also got a free alienware stamped microsoft keyboard, and just some other cool swag.

Dennis, thanks for the anser there.... Since my clean install of the most updated Windows XP Pro with SP 2 , I just installed four days ago.. games are running about 100 % better, faster and look better since doing this , so after some thought and reading your post here.. I agree.

Everything out there still runs good on my computer which is very hihg end last generation specs. and even BF 2 runs and looks good so maybe that is some proof right there.

and... you are one lucky devil I don't see myself evr geting to go to one of those in the near future, but you never know. bet it was great fun and those goodies sound awesome. Congrats!
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

denis, was quake 4 teh rox l1k3 whoa? I also went to quake 4 demo. do you think i can quake4 good w/gamepad? joystick probably. I have 9 gay, buy 7 coo.. Ya know? ok counter-strike i go practice quake4 bf2 style i got teh. also remember you shon me duu things? do i quake4 on there? oh nm i got google, kthxggomgkfcwtfbbq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsamuels
    denis, was quake 4 teh rox l1k3 whoa? I also went to quake 4 demo. do you think i can quake4 good w/gamepad? joystick probably. I have 9 gay, buy 7 coo.. Ya know? ok counter-strike i go practice quake4 bf2 style i got teh. also remember you shon me duu things? do i quake4 on there? oh nm i got google, kthxggomgkfcwtfbbq.

WTF are you talking about.

ENGLISH! If you look at all the previous posts you'll find that this is the language that everyone else here is using to communicate with. Its a very expressive language, you should try it sometime.

umm... i think that was a joke, kfc? bbq?
    i know i'm laughing with him.
    and if it wasn't, Bsam is a moron.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

haha thanks tasty, im glad someone else found humor in it considering i was laughing at myself while typing it... it was pretty much just to hear people say... wtf? and then leave long posts about speaking english and whatnot.. but on a more serious note.. quake4 i will teh win

j00 R stoopid d00d
    i r teh h4xx0rz 2 teh |\/|4xx0rz
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

Computer language?????????????? Thats why I got out of the field years ago....

Maybe some form of Draq???

This game is a must have for most any serious gamer who likes FPS and I am one of those who can't wait....
    I just got done replaying Doom 3 AGAIN for the fourth time..and the graphics are very much the same....so i will like that.

yeah i just started playing doom3 again as well, just to make sure my computer was going to handle quake 4 alright.. but by the time it comes out i should have a new mobo and x2 proc.. thinking of upgrading the x850pro also..

Love the Doom & Quake games. Just finished my 3rd run on Doom 3.
    I hope ID use a little more imagination with the maps than they have done on their previous games.

There are far to many creatures/bad guys that just pop out of hidden compartments in the wall which seem to serve no other function than to hide a NPC in it.
    It screws the storyline up a little and ruins the game play.
    I hardly think that when the UAC architect was planning the mars research station he thought to himself "I'll just make some hollow inaccesable areas and I think I'll stick a few of hells minions in there while i'm at it just in case anyone feels like unleashing hell in the future. Give them a head start so to speak"

I agree kandar.... Actually the only real thing that bothered me was the lack of real AI, although in some areas it was Ok..but yeah..creatures popping out of certain areas..its like the second or third time through you knew just where they were..because its scripted and or built nto the game that way.it also has to be the darkest game out there visually...but I found that OK and even enjoyable as it adds to the suspense. ( just turn your brightness up some and it helps alot )
    Still, for my money its an incredible game nonetheless..and worthy of its merits perse'.
    also, I know its just a norm today to put some unbeatable monster in games..but please make them an intricle part of the story line and not just something to make you frustrated and mad. Stupid...

It is the darkest game I have ever played.
    What gets me is why your character doesn't gaffer tape the torch to his current weapon. Has he not seen Alien? (Ripley taping weapons together)
    I think the game was excessively dark in some places in an attempt to hide the otherwise obvious imp or zombie that was just standing motionless in a corner or behind some equipment until you walked across the trigger that activated it.

I really enjoyed playing the game but there weren’t any real surprises. You always knew that areas you’d cleared would repopulate on your return trip and that something was always going to rush out of the wall and attack you. I’m not saying I didn’t jump when it happened but it wasn’t unexpected.

DOOM and QUAKE have always been like that though so it is true to form.