Thread: Acrylic Question

Acrylic Question

Are acrylic cases cooler than metal / aluminum cases? I've been seeing them get more prevelent in some pc haunts, but haven't asked what the deal is..
    Or are they just for show? My girlfriend thinks it would freak her out....I'm partial to a good freak out once in a while....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Member
    I would think it is more just for show. Any temp difference would strictly be minimal, as far as I know.

Ultimate Member
    I would actually think they would run a little hotter. Plastic is a very good insulator where as steel/aluminum is a very good conductor. With a steel/aluminum case, it can conduct the heat and dissappate some of it, with an acrylic case, you'd be totally dependant on fans. But as stated, this should be of minimal consequence. However, if your PC is placed someplace where sunlight can hit it, an acrylic case would definatly run hotter.

Ultimate Member
    Ah yes, I failed to think about the green house effect, LOL

That could fry something fast I would think

thanks guys.....The insulator factor is something I should have thought of immediately. For some reason my brain's underclocked tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I built my girl a acrylic case. DON'T do it.

It's a pain. If you NEVER plan on adding/removing hardware from it, and don't mind blowing the dust out from it often, then ok.
    Just a simple hard drive install is a pain. YOu have to remove both sides to do anything. And, on one of those sides, the mobo mounts directly to it. So...it's a nightmare. That being said, when it's cleaned out and the lit fans are on...it does look kinda cool.

It is so impractical for me, it's unreal. The little brass screws that hold it together snap very, very easily....

i dunnot about you guys, but i've got 2 of them

there are some pics in this forum from one of them.

yes they are somewhat of a pain, to build, but is not hard for maintainance, is actually quite simple, once you get the hang of it

it only takes me 4 screw with my fingers, to open and close the case for a quick change in something, or add/remove something. and for the monthly Dust off with the vacuum

As for the Case itself yes is mostly for Show Off, than anything else.

I like them personally to see Immediately what is wrong if and keep an eye on the Dust build up.

as for the Cooling factor, makes no difference at all with the Metal ones.

but on the other side if you have seen some of my previous post somewhere in this forum my constant temperatures are always at Ambient temperature or lower, just by using AIR

don't ask me, i don't understand either but is really that cool.

maybe cuz i use all the 5 fans + 2 from the PSU

i have 2 input fans, and 3 output fans in the case, then of course + 2 of the PSU going out as well.

so making it 7 out and 2 in, that pumps quite a hell lot of cubic air per second.

even now in summer (Unbearable Extremely Hot) the temp inside the case is still below 20c or at 20c and the CPU is still around the 30c

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

We must have different designs on our cases...AG...

Hers is four brass screws on each side.

Then....you have the four screws holding the peripheral in...with long brass tube/spacers...that never fit quite right...so I file them a hair....

I'll never do it again....

AG...Linkie to your pics if ye don't mind?

AG, your temps on air are "lower" than ambient or close to it because those crappy motherboard sensors used. I have an old Biostar that read about 30C above ambient always.

The CPU's temp sensor is about as accurate as your going to get, and it doesn't report ambients - the motherboards CPU readout and it's ambients are going to always be off to some degree, sometimes way off. Sounds like yours is way off. They aren't going to spend several bucks extra (in bulk I'm talking) for quality sensors, they are buying practically the cheapest ones they can - and it shows.

Ultimate Member
    I know this thread is a month old already, but I have to reply to AG's post... It is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to get cooler than ambient temps on air cooling. That would mean that your CPU is running cooler than the air hitting it. So don't get too excited, infact be worried because your cpu IS running hotter than you think.

No it's actually higher than my Room Temp.
    My Room Temp is in about 20c (give or take)

In Summer i have my AC on, in Winter, i just let it be I keep my Heat also around 20c

for better days, when is not to darn fricking hot outside, and open the windows
    my Room Temp is aprox 25c to 30c

and my case temp is as well aprox 24c

CPU temp will jump to aprox 34c give or take
    Last edited by AllGamer; 07-27-2005 at 02:45 PM.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5