Thread: Internet Connection sharing via a Cable modem?

Internet Connection sharing via a Cable modem?

I want to share my cable connection with my other computer in my other room, ive been told to buy a broadband router, however, i don't have a static ip from my broadband provider, instead it's a wide DHCP connection that my internet provider uses for their connections, so how do i go about configuring my broadband router to share my internet connection with the other computer???
    -AlBERT

it is automatic. home routers use NAT to assign a local IP to your workstations, while taking a single IP from your ISP.

If you look at the user manual for your router, it should explain what to do.

http://www.ezlan.net/routers1.html

So even though my connection get's it's ip using a DHCP provided by my ISP. i should be able to connect my router (it's coming soon from eBay) with my two PC's and use the internet at the same time???

Also will a broadband router treat the connection like a switch, dividing the bandwidth based on usage, so if' i'm not using it on my computer here, my brother say could be taking advantage of the net at full speed on the other comp, using the broadband router???
    -AlBERT

yeah, the router can use DHCP to grab an IP from your ISP. why did you think it had to have a static IP?

Well since i already get my ip (single PC & cabel modem) using DHCP from my ISP, i thought maybe there might be a conflict, but i guess, the broadband router would get the ip address from my ISP's DHCP, then using the brandband routers own DHCP server, give out ip's to my two home pc's, am i right???
    -AlBERT

I have had only minor issues while setting up cable connections on a broadband router. The router will not take a DHCP address from the ISP if it has been used on a computer before. It seems to happen here all the time - maybe a function of our cable ISP.

The solution is simple - use MAC address cloning (the manual explains it and how to use it) and then reboot the router without PC's attached. Seems to work everytime. Just something to keep in mind if you have issues. Our cable ISP is Comcast.
    -- Mathias