Thread: Recommendation Please: AGP Video Card

Recommendation Please: AGP Video Card

A few days ago, "they" gave me a Dell FP1905 at work to replace my big 21" CRT. The slightly smaller screen is well worth it as I no longer have the huge, bulky monitor a foot from my face in this rather small, cramped office. And it seems OK running off the traditional (non DVI) output of my office PC.

So I'm so pleased with it that I just ordered one for home from Dell, to use in my main desktop machine. The same reason - my big Compaq 21" monitor, which I have really enjoyed using, takes most of the computer desk at home. This will give me some room.

I might as well throw a few more bucks at it and replace the ~3 year old card I have with something that will feed the DVI input of the LCD monitor, as it is alleged to be preferable. Anyone care to recommend something, as I've been out of the loop for several years? This is an Epox 8RDA+ board running an AMD2500+ chip, with AGP only - they hadn't invented PCI-E yet. I don't play games, I don't watch movies, so my 3D demands are zero. But I do a lot of work with photos for the web sites I run, so at-least-decent color rendition is a requirement, and I know even the 2D text-resolution behavior varies across boards - I do enough writing and coding that this issue is quite significant.

I guess this in computer parlance translates to "low end". Are there any cards that might be considered a more intelligent purchase for someone with these requirements, or are they all peas in a pod these days?

And just what does one do with a perfectly functional 21" CRT monitor???

Art, Confused

ATi cards are the best previous generation for AGP! a 9800Pro would serve you well & should have a fairly low price point now PCI-e is all the rage.

I'll take the 21" monitor off you - I'll send you a "tenner" (£) which is worth about two hundred of your dollars ($) , or you could just put it on e-bay with a reserve of $50.

sounds like you could even go as low as a 9550 or 9600. The 9x00 series from ATI had better image quality than the 5x00 series from Nvidia, so I would stick the ATI in that price range.

DVI would be a definite plus.

I drop ya a couple links from newegg cheap and mid range. The cheap ATI wont game or atleast not the newer ones very well but for the stuff you do it would most likely serve well. This 9250 is atleast a good brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102404

Now if ya want to spend a little more cash to get more life out of a card here is a link to a newer generation card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133137

Thanks, everyone. I just picked up a Sapphire 9600 SE on eBay at a good price; I'm sure the lesser horsepower of the SE won't be an issue for the usage at hand. Appreciate everyones' words of wisdom. I'm glad this card doesn't use a cooling fan, as the machine is loud enough as is with its whiny Delta CPU fan and a bunch of case fans and the always-on fan on the UPS.

Art

The 9600 SE has a 64-bit memory bus instead of 128 like the regular 9600, but it should be fine for your purposes.

well why dont you buy leadtek 6800 128mb and 256bit much cheaper than that card.. and it can unlock pipeline to 16... more performing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122212
    Nothing to do much but playing game alldday

I just picked up a Sapphire 9600 SE on eBay at a good price;
    Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by dotinh
    well why dont you buy leadtek 6800 128mb and 256bit much cheaper than that card.. and it can unlock pipeline to 16... more performing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122212
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtShapiro
    I don't play games, I don't watch movies, so my 3D demands are zero.
    explain to me how he would benefit from buying that kind of card for what he does? that's a heavy 3D performance card. for what he's looking to do, I even think that the 9600SE that he bought was over doing it a little. at least we know it will last him a little while.

COME ON GUYS! READ FREAKIN POSTS BEFORE YOU GIVE YOUR ANSWERS! If he says no 3D, don't recommend a high powered 3D card that costs $250. that's pointless! I wish you guys would read posts that are made before you send out your own "opinion"

Enough ranting for tonight.

sorry dude i only try to share good deal to youir guy and try to help out a bit... sorry i didnt read the post all the way. hehehe

well if so then why doesnt he buy a gforce MX4000 it much cheaper and it really good for playing movie.. it cost around $30 after RB

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/eVGA-...oductDetail.do
    Nothing to do much but playing game alldday

You're still not reading the posts.

He's already bought a card! A 9600SE in fact.