Thread: print server and broadband router

print server and broadband router

I want to access a printer from all my home PC's. The printer does not have a network port but I can connect it to a pre-loved print server that supports tcp/ip protocol. How could I achieve it?

Right now all my pc's can communicate with one another as they are hooked to a broadband router, each getting its ip's assigned by this broadband router/switch automatically.

I hope I am able to connect this print server to one of the router ports, enabling all my pc's to 'talk' to the print server. Is that possible?

If the printer won't get assigned with an IP (which I think the statement is true), do I need to assign an IP to the print server manually, using a utility from the manufacturer of the print server?

Thanks
    Last edited by jfchui; 07-10-2005 at 09:54 AM.

Is the printer USB or parallel?
    MS MCP, MCSE

you should ALWAYS use a static IP with a print server. you didn't say which OS. (I'd expect you to do that after 100 posts ). I'm assuming xp.

just add a local printer, then choose to add a standard tcpip port using the printer's IP. that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    you should ALWAYS use a static IP with a print server. you didn't say which OS. (I'd expect you to do that after 100 posts ). I'm assuming xp.

just add a local printer, then choose to add a standard tcpip port using the printer's IP. that's about it.
    Mentioning the OS, oh yes. It is actually a number of PC's networked together to gain access to the Internet (using a broadband router). The pc's are both Winxp and win2000.

I think I could work out from the hints you give me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Is the printer USB or parallel?
    It is a parallel. I will connect it to the printer server that has 2 parallel ports. Thanks.