Thread: Win 98 se not dtecting monitor properly

Win 98 se not dtecting monitor properly

Hi there, I had a system crash and when it came and loaded back up again, it would not recognise the brand of mionitor I had. I have tried reistalling the driver and colour profile but this does not seem to have any effect on it.

It now says that it has the right monitor but the optimal refesh rate is now very flickery. How can I get it to recognise the optimal regresh rate, Please help.

Best regards

Right click on your desktop and open the video properties on the settings tab open the advanced button at the bottom of the page and set the refresh rate yourself just make sure you set it to a setting that your monitor can handle. It has been a few years since I used 98se, but I'mprettty sure this will do what you need.
    "It's dark as a dungeon, and damp as the dew.
    Where the danger is double, and the pleasures are few.
    Where the rain never falls, and the sun never shines.
    It's a hell of a living, way down in the mine."

refresh rate selection comes from the video card drivers, check those, they probably need reinstalling
    I'm Nintendo certificated fanboy.

Just something that may or may not help: I remember Win98 having this problem detecting PnP monitors; you will have to power on the monitor before windows boots up.

Otherwise windows will boot up at your previously set resolution, but at 60Hz.

I would concur with the idea of re-installing your video drivers. Remember to set to Standard VGA adapter before that.

Hope it helps.

Hi there, think I've found the problem, the cable to the monitor was not fully tightened, doh. Thanks for the help

Cheers Nige