Thread: BF2 - Anyone trying to use a joystick?

BF2 - Anyone trying to use a joystick?

Oh no so I look forward to this game for forever and I'm having some trouble. Mapping the keys is a problem...says I have duplicate keys here or there when there isnt! But what I'm most upset about is the joystick. Cant map the 'twisting' axis...makes flying a disaster for me. The only thing on their support area I see regarding this implies that a joystick might not even be supported. Is it possible to not have support for sticks in a game where you fly? Sigh the controls were great for bf1942 and vfvietnam why would they change things

Anyway just wondering if anyone is using a joystick successfully.

Yeah, I've been using my joystick from the get go w/ no problems. Its a sidewinder extreme 3d pro. I ended up just clearing all the keybinds and making my own.

When you get to the bind for the z-axis, be certain to twist the joystick all the way to the left and right. I was unable to bind any of x, y or z-axis movements on the joystick until I pushed it to its limit.

Hopefully you'll get it working, if not, you may have to manually edit the config file.

I don't have one of those fancy-smancy twistable joysticks. But what I can tell you is that when configuring a joystick, moving slowly and carefully (trying not to trigger any undesirable axis) has worked for me in the past.

yeah I've been twisting and its no good. Hard, soft fast slow it wont work!!!! Cant get it to register the twist or z axis. Its a logitech extreme 3d pro...is that what yours is Frash or is it a microsoft stick? Bah my twister works on the joystick setup stuff so I guess its ok. This stinks I absolutely cannot fly anymore, where on the old bf games I was pretty good

Hey I'm curious what would editing a config file allow me to do?

Got that prob wit the demo. Mapping planes mostly gives me problems. What I did was set the roll controls first, then pitch up/down, then the rest of the buttons and it worked I guess lol.

problem solved

Horray good news problem solved. It was my stick all along. I went back to the joystick test area and noticed that twisting right did not push the test gauge ALL the way to the right....most but not all. Left was fine. I dug through the compu-graveyard in the garage and hooked up an old sidewinder and it worked. 29.99$ later I have a new logitech 3d pro and the ability to fly. The stick must of somehow been causing the 'duplicate key' problem while mapping as that working now too.

Kinda nice to fly without killing everyone around you ya know?

Is anyone using their joystick for 'everything'? I noticed that when I set up land vehicle and boat as joystick mapped, the AA missle and fixed position machine guns work off of the mouse for the axis, but the joystick for trigger. Could be me, but wondering how others have theirs mapped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]