Thread: if someone insert a wrong windows CD

if someone insert a wrong windows CD

A friend has 2 pc both running windows98. Ages ago each of them was installed with its own Windows 98 Cd. (entering into each PC a different 'cd key')

Just then he installed a printer for one of the PC. The plug & play thing worked normally and he was prompted to insert the original Windows98 SE CD to complete the installation. He did. But because he had forgotten which Cd belongs to which PC, later I was asked if that really matters.

I think in this case it doesn't harm if someone inserts a different CD (with a different cd key) to the one he used it for initial installation for Windows. Is that true? I hope you could confirm me.

Many thanks.

As long as both cds were 98se versions, it doesn't matter. Both cd keys will work with either of the 98se cds. Unless one cd is an OEM version and the other is Retail. Otherwise, either cd will work.

Ultimate Member
    I dont believe that in this situation it would matter even if you had different typs, ie upgrade or oem vs retail. It only pulls installer files offf, and does not check the coa/codes etc. I've even used a 98 for an ME box and viceversa.

Agreed, it just pulls the files it needs out of the CAB file they are in.

Keycode immaterial

It does not matter as long as it is the right version of win 98. You cannot mix original 98 with 98se.

I have fed 98SE drivers from a Win Me disc. Me has a much better selection of drivers.

ME Windows

ME windows is junk. This oS should have been recalled. I have heard so many complaints over this system over the years it is ridiculous. Microsoft charges so much for their OS, they need to make them right. ME should have been recalled. Sony Vaio computers sold with ME originally were sent a free XP upgrade at no charge just by going online & registering. Anyone with ME, complain to Microsoft & make them send you an XP upgrade. Microsoft has admitted this ME thing was a mistake. Don't **** down my back & tell me it's raining!

Ultimate Member

Re: ME Windows

Originally posted by bootleggerxxx
    ME windows is junk. This oS should have been recalled. I have heard so many complaints over this system over the years it is ridiculous. Microsoft charges so much for their OS, they need to make them right. ME should have been recalled. Sony Vaio computers sold with ME originally were sent a free XP upgrade at no charge just by going online & registering. Anyone with ME, complain to Microsoft & make them send you an XP upgrade. Microsoft has admitted this ME thing was a mistake. Don't **** down my back & tell me it's raining!
    Well, two things really

1) No way on earth is MS going to give a free upgrade away to owners of Windows ME.

2) When ME first came out, I built a few machines with it, and they lasted for years without problems. However, I may have been one of the lucky ones.